Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet recording a finale: It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs! And joining us from the St. Louis offices of Master Closet Studios is our Classic Whovian.
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 203 covering Season 2, Serial 2: The Daleks Invasion of Earth.
This is the one where the most annoying Doctor… And we didn’t have to bypass Watford.
- Story #10
- Originally aired Nov 21- Dec 26, 1964
- Written by: Terry Nation
- Directed by: Richard Martin
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Creature of the week
- The Daleks, of course
- They saw the Daleks destroyed, but that was a million years in the future!
- The film handled this better
- Stripey Dalek!
- They bombarded the earth with meteorites in advance of their invasion?
- The Final Solution – they are literally Nazis!
- They planned to exterminate all humanity
- So they can’t see to the sides because they have an eye-stalk – then the last one looked RIGHT AT THE DOCTOR!
- Dalek Crowd Surfing!
- The Robomen
- There’s an extra bit here about eventually going insane
- The Daleks, of course
- Jiggery Pokery
- One calls it “the ship”
- He double-locked the doors, Susan can’t get in.
- X equals Gamma, that means roughly about 2% which should give us a curve of about 80%
- Did you take third-dimensional graph geometry in school?
- Needless sacrificial death
- Dortmun’s death in the film was way better!
- Cutting-edge special effects
- It’s amazing the difference in visual quality between this and the film
- The one-page-per-year calendar!
- The fall out the second-story door wasn’t nearly as amazing
- Amazing flying saucer!
- They threw like 3 bombs, which exploded off-screen
- Not only was there often no music, there was hardly any sound effects either
Other stuff we noticed
- HEY! Didn’t you see the sign! It is forbidden to dump bodies in the river!
- In the film, we weren’t sure WHY they wound up where they did. In this, they were aiming for 1960’s London and ended up in the wrong century but weren’t sure of it at the beginning
- We discovered our new favorite genre of music: foot-chase bongo solo
- Did they have a bunch of leftover documentary mining footage or something?
- What’s for dinner? A bag of sugar!
- So wait, in THIS one, instead of trying to eject the core to make Spaceship Earth, they’re trying to control the flow of living energy and tampering with the power of creation?!
- Actually no, it’s still a plan to turn earth into a spaceship
- They are within FOUR MILES of the outer core
- At some point, the Robomen went from being robots to zombies
- What the heck was that bit about the Dalek overheating?!
Stuff we didn’t notice
- Several signs read “VETOED” throughout the serial. Supposedly part of the resistance code, this was actually a joke from the production designers, in particular Spencer Chapman. If sets were too ambitious, then the designs would be stamped with the word “VETOED” and handed back to the designers.
- Who is Ian?
- WHY!? Why do they do it? (about Susan and Barabara sneaking off)
- Who is Barbara?
- Really stepping up in this one, very capable
- Is she from Bedfordshire, is that what that scene was about?
- Who is the First Doctor?
- It MIGHT be somewhere in London, HMMM!
- If Cushing’s Dr. Who is an inconsequential goof, Hartnell’s First Doctor is just a jerk!
- What you need is jolly good smacked bottom
- What’s so special about the Doctor?!
- Was he jealous of David?
- I never take life unless mine is directly threatened
- Tripp thinks he looks like Elmo
- Don’t call him Doc!
- Who is Susan?
- And what do you do? I eat.
- Susan is older and David is younger…
- She never felt she had an identity, no place or time that she ever felt like she belonged
- She felt like she had to stay with the Doctor to take care of him
- Grade A Doctor speech in her send-off
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared – 5 Early Cybermen -3
- Austin – 4 acid bombs -5
- Corbin – 3.5 pictures of Reese’s cup -5.5
- Tripp – 4 Doctor Elmos -6
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Thing One: Tripp Reason. Our Production Editor is the Other One: Corbin Reason. Special thanks to tardis.fandom.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at Facebook or Twitter or email us. Consider supporting us. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.