Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet in a TARDIS in a bubble in a monster in a Sea Devil base in a hole in the ground and the green grass grew all around, all around, and the green grass grew all around: It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who HASN’T seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 202 covering the 2022 Easter Special: Legend of the Sea Devils
This is the one where the Doctor and the fam have a “SwAsHbUcKlInG AdVeNtUrE.” and Dan can sword fight?
- Story #297
- Originally aired April 17, 2022 to 2.2 million overnight, British viewers watching an actual TV
- This is the lowest day-of viewership of the entire series, beating the previous record holder, 1989’s Battlefield which had just 3.1 million. This was the beginning of the final season of Classic Who.
- Written by: Ella Road & Chibs
- Directed by: Haolu Wang
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- What do I tell me crew? That you found vanquished mythical creatures and found the lost treasure. They wouldn’t believe it. That’s what makes a good legend.
- Creature of the week
- Sea Devils
- I was hyped for the costumes. But the CGI eyes on the animatronic head that was severely under animated was weird.
- They call humans Land Crawlers, but they don’t exactly swim!
- Sea Devils
- Landed 4 centuries off-target
- This is where having a time machine comes in handy. It only took Yaz 3 series and two specials to get to that conclusion!
- An oxygen bubble with a reinforced aquashield, just in case
- Someone online asked, if the aquashield failed for some reason, would the TARDIS simply drain the oceans dry?
- Jibberty Jabberty
- Kinetic hyper curve
- Geomagnetic disturbance caused by a localized core which not only pulled the TARDIS in, but attracts granite rocks
- Adventures in closed captioning!
- That was the same thing I was going to say to you. Before I kill you?
Other stuff we noticed
- This isn’t a mutiny!
- What’s the opposite of a mutiny?
- No ship, Sherlock!
- So… the Sea Devils have Infinity Stones?
Is THAT How that works?
- Flipping the magnetic poles wouldn’t make the stars look different, would it? Would it melt the poles?!
- Who is Madam Ching?
- Pirate queen!
- Who is Dan Lewis?
- He wandered off
- He must be good at fighting to have lasted to 70!
- Is he 42, or 46?
- Oi, that’s Dan! Don’t diss Dan, he’s my mate!
- C’mon, can’t you see it? NO DAN! NONE OF US CAN!
- He took out like 6 Sea Devils!
- He got back in touch with Diane
- Who is Yasmin “Yaz” Khan?
- She finally got to go to a beach
- She’s not as competent in this episode
- She doesn’t immediately get the air bubble around the TARDIS
- The Doctor tells her that she was holding back info strategically, and then immediately starts giving more info away!
- Who is the Doctor?
- You talk just to give yourself time to think
- She said Geronimo! Twice!
Can we talk about Thasmine?
- If she was gonna date, it would be Yaz. But she doesn’t do that anymore, she can’t.
- She can’t fix herself to anyone or anything. Cuz if she does, sooner or later, it’ll hurt.
- Can we just live in the present of what we have, while we have it?
- This whole thing feels forced
- Dropping it into this particular story felt REALLY forced
Classic Who Connections
- The Doctor is angry at Ji-Hun for killing an enemy just like he was in The Sea Devils
- The Sea Devils did not play a huge role in the story which is very similar to the story line for The Sea Devils
- Hexo-toxic poisoning might be similar to Hexocromite gas that was used in Warriors of the Deep
- The Doctor says she has encountered the Sea Devils once or twice before
- Third Doctor, The Sea Devils
- Fifth Doctor, The Warriors of the Deep
- Overall rating out of 10
- Jared – 6.5/10 Glowing Talk boxes
- Austin – 3 laser swords
- Corbin – 4 chuck e cheese masks
- Tripp – 2 pirate dans
- The brontosaurus is not a thing. We live closer to T Rex than triceratops (?)
Theories & Wild Speculation about the Autumn Special
- Dan leaves with Dian
- Thasmine happens, then Yaz dies OR
- Having been rejected, Yaz leaves
- Dan leaves to settle down with Diane
- Tennant is Fourteen, for one episode
The Game Plan
- Next week, we’re diving WAY back into Classic Who to cover the original The Dalek Invasion of Earth.
- And then… nothing til November!
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Thing One: Tripp Reason. Our Production Editor is the Other One: Corbin Reason. Special thanks to tardis.fandom.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at Facebook or Twitter or email us. Consider supporting us. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.