Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet hosted by two humans and one Zygon: It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who has seen it before, and two sons who have.
Welcome to Episode 199, covering Series 9 episodes 7 & 8, The Zygon Invasion and The Zygon Inversion
This is the one where Clara is not Clara, Lethbridge-Stewart is not NOT Lethbridge-Stewart and we all learn the true price of war. Except Lethbridge-Stewart.
- Story #258
- Originally aired October 31 & November 7, 2015 to 5.76 & 6.03 million viewers
- Written by: Peter Harness & Steven Moffat
- Directed by: Daniel Nettheim
Wibbly Wobbly memories
- I forgot this was Twelve
- Ok, the bit about not remembering if they’re human or Zygon was part of The Day of the Doctor.
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Creature of the week
- Totally and radically driving in space
- The sunglasses!
- Setting 137 hijacks vans
- Psychic paper
- Random Jiggery Pokery
- Jibberty Jabberty
- Name Dropping
- Needless sacrificial death!
- Adventures in closed captioning!
- Existential horror
Other stuff we noticed
- That painting of One
- Titivating the fronds
- In American TV, when you want to show that you’re in another country, particularly Mexico or the Middle East, they add a yellow tint. It was weird to see that (albeit, more subtly) when they went to New Mexico. But NOT Turmezistan
- So many guns! Why didn’t they fight back?!
- Corbin’s fav part was the lie detector test
- The stand off has happened 16 times?! In a year?!
Stuff we didn’t notice
- Who is Clara?
- This is before Face the Raven
- Probably in the tube or in outer space
- She used to memorize Trivial Pursuit questions so she could… win…
- Of course she’s lived directly above the secret Zygon base!
- Who is Osgood(s)?
- One is wearing Seven’s sweater vest. The other is wearing Four’s super long scarf and a bowtie.
- Later, one is wearing Five’s (?) question mark collar
- She is the Peace. She is human AND zygon.
- Like a hybrid?
- How did she know about Bonnie’s bazooka?
- What was with the Petronella bit?
- Who is the Twelfth Doctor?
- This is Doctor Disco – why was this again?!
- Creepy old man whispering to two little girls in the park…
- He likes putzing around in a big plane
- Conveniently leaving behind the TARDIS
- I’m President of the World. I’m here to save people and spread general happiness.
- Doctor Funkenstein?!
- He’s got question mark underpants
- Doctor Puntastic
- I’m old enough to be your messiah
- Why does peacekeeping always involve killing?
- Why did he waffle between saying that both Osgoods were human AND zygon, but then suddenly keep hounding Osgood to know which one she is
Can we talk about the big speech?
- You’re not fighting cruel people, you’re just a whole new lot of cruel people. Cruel people being cruel to other people who will be cruel to you!
- When you’ve killed all the bad guys, when it’s finally perfect and just and fair, what are you gonna do with the people like you? The troublemakers? How are you going to protect your glorious revolution from the next one?
- This is a scale model of war. Whenever the first shot is fired, nobody knows who will die, who’s children will scream.
- You’ll end up doing what you should’ve done in the first place, sit down and talk!
- Look at me I’m unforgivable, well here’s the unforeseeable. I forgive you.
- You know what you do with that pain? You hold it tight until it burns you. Until you vow that no one else will ever have to feel this pain ever again!
- Noobs and the Whovian is also brought to you by listeners like Victor, Jared, and James! If you find value in what we do and want to give a little value back, here’s how you can do it.
- We’ve made some updates!
- First, our tiers have changed:
- Join for as little as $1 a month and you’ll be a Fez patron! Jump up to $5/month as a Bow Tie patron. Bow ties are cool, and you’ll get a shoutout on the show each week. At $15/month, you become a Hosting Host, covering our monthly hosting cost and you’ll get an opportunity to guest host on an upcoming episode.
- First, our tiers have changed:
- Go to noobsandthewhovian.com/support and become a supporting patron of family-friendly independent media today!
Classic Who Connections
- How did you like it this time compared to last time?
- Jared –
- Austin – even more
- Corbin – enjoyed it
- Tripp – a lot more
The Game Plan
- Next week, having concluded the Master Plan with Curse of the Fatal Death, we’re heading back to a parallel universe in an alternate dimension on a branch of a variant timeline to witness Dr. Who: Daleks Invasion Earth 2150.
After that, we’re covering the Best of Thirteen and we’re covering Nikola Tesla’s Night of Terror .
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Thing One: Tripp Reason. Our Production Editor is the Other One: Corbin Reason. Special thanks to tardis.fandom.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at Facebook or Twitter or email us. Consider supporting us. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.