Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet picking our own favorite episode: It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs! And joining us from the St. Louis offices of Master Closet Studios is our Classic Whovian.
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 194 covering the 20th Anniversary Special: The Five Doctors.
This is the one where the Doctors fights himself, the master tries to help him, and the true villain was the timelord inside us all along. And Rassilon is a huge troll.
- Story #129
- Originally aired November 23, 1983 to 7.7 million viewers
- Written by: Terrance Dicks
- Directed by: Peter Moffatt
- No relation to Steven Moffat
- Did 6 serials, including The Two Doctors
- Tom Baker’s wax figure
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- I don’t think so
- Creature of the week
- Raston warrior robot
- Jiggery Pokery
- New console!
- It split into 4 parts
- Cutting-edge special effects
- That black triangle that captured One was hilarious! Why did they have to stretch the image into a triangle instead of cropping it!
Other stuff we noticed
- That chessboard scene was just bizarre
- It ticks me off when scifi writers get lazy and say things like “yes! We just have to use the mathematical formula of pi!” instead of actually coming up with something mathematical or scientific. The very opposite of Andy Weir!
- Why is there random Greek lettering/math on that Gallifreyan tablet!?
- Ancient High Gallifreyan?!
- Who is Vislor Turlough?
- No seriously, who the heck is he?!
- Who is Sarah Jane?
- She’s hanging out with K-9
- Who is Susan Foreman?
- They actually brought her back?!
- I’m disappointed by their reunion, or lack thereof
- Who is the Master?
- Crimes without number and villainy without end
- This is the one where he gets his new cycle of regenerations!
- For rescuing the Doctor!?
- Why did Three recognize him but not One?
- Who is the First Doctor?
- He called Five “young man”
- Who is the Second Doctor?
- Didn’t think much of his replacement (I guess from The Three Doctors?)
- He knew the Brigadier?
- Who is the Third Doctor?
- Who is the Fourth Doctor?
- Who is the Fifth Doctor?
- He ran like crazy to get away from being President!
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared – 8 Wax Doctors
- Austin – 5 five-ish doctors
- Corbin – 5 silver dudes
- Tripp – 7 who 1s
The Game Plan
- Next week we’re headed to a different scifi universe to cover Star Trek: The Next Generation’s Season 5 Episode 18, Cause & Effect. At the time of recording, you can find it on Netflix and Paramount+.
- After that is the Best of Eleven, and we’ve picked Vincent and the Doctor.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Thing One: Tripp Reason. Our Production Editor is the Other One: Corbin Reason. Special thanks to tardis.fandom.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at Facebook or Twitter or email us. Consider supporting us. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.