Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that can’t seem to get started: It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 191 covering season 18 serial number 6, The Keeper of Traken.
This is the one where the Doctor meets an all-powerful chair god. And the master!
- Story # 114
- Originally aired January 31 – February 21, 1981 to 7.6, 8.1, 5.2, & 6.1 million viewers
- Written by: Johnny Byrne
- Directed by: John Black
- The Master – Geoffrey Beavers
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Creature of the week
- The Keeper of Traken
- Jiggery Pokery
- Were police boxes just really filthy or something?
- How is it bigger on the inside? Because it’s dimensionally transcendant. What does that mean? It means it’s bigger on the inside.
- It didn’t work!
Other stuff we noticed
- SPACE NET!
- She stepped up the ions in the ion bonder.
- Chekhov’s ion bonder
- Why so many guns?
- Who is Adric?
- He’s from E-space, this is his first story in N-space
- Who is Nyssa?
- We kinda thought, based on Logopolis, that Adric and Nyssa knew each other for a LONG time
- Who is the Master?
- So, at what point was it obvious that it was the Master running the Melkur? Was it obvious as soon as you saw his weird hand, or not until episode 3 when he turned around?
- His TARDIS has the roundels, but they’re all black
- Who is the Fourth Doctor?
- A lot of the time you don’t make sense (Adric)
- He was very chill when the Keeper just materialized in the TARDIS!
- Unlike you, my time of dissolution is near at hand.
- The Doctor dies in the next story…
- What can’t be cured must be endured. That’s the silliest thing you’ve ever said!
- Don’t listen to me, I never do
Can we talk about the trope of the all-knowing, unhelpful, old man
- We thought the Keeper died before he could vouch for the Doctor, only to have him summoned later and STILL not vouch for him!
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared – 6 Gold and blue star math medals
- Austin – 7 Achilles accusations
- Corbin – 6 ion bonders
- Tripp – 4 chair gods
The Game Plan
- Next week it’s Groundhog Day!
- After that is the Best of Ten, so next week we’ll announce which story we’re doing.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Thing One: Tripp Reason. Our Production Editor is the Other One: Corbin Reason. Special thanks to tardis.fandom.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at Facebook or Twitter or email us. Consider supporting us. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.