Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet recording in a zoo: It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who seen it before, and two sons who have.
Welcome to Episode 77, er, 186 re-covering the 2010 Christmas Special: A Christmas Carol
This is the one where Doctor Who does A Wibbly Wobbly Christmas Carol. With SPACE SHARKS WoOoOoO.
- Story #213
- Originally aired December 25, 2010 to 12.11 million viewers
- Written by: Steven Moffat
- Directed by: Toby Haynes
- He did The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, this, and The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, making him the first to direct three consecutive Doctor Who stories!
- Captain – Pookie Quesnell
- Kazran Sardick – Sir Michael Gambon, CBE the second knight to appear in Doctor Who. Derek Jacobi (Yana/The Master) was the first.
- You’ll remember he was new Dumbledore
- Abigail – Katherine Jenkins, OBE
- A professional singer, she was approached specifically for this role
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- 3 times in a row!
- Creature of the week
- Sky fish
- It can’t lock onto the ship
- Either go and kiss the girl or go to your room and invent a new kind of screwdriver. Dont make my mistakes
- Psychic paper
- He broke the psychic paper with a lie too big
- Random Jiggery Pokery
- Had to recover the data using quantum enfolding and a paper clip
- Name Dropping
- He’s buddies with Santa, Sinatra, and Einstein
Other stuff we noticed
- The secret of the bow tie! Look at me, I wear it and I don’t care. Do you trust me? Yes. That’s why it’s cool.
- Everything has to end, or else nothing would ever get started.
- This is both bullcrap, and the opposite of what the Doctor usually acts like
- Who is Kazran?
- Who is Abigail?
- Who is Amy?
- Who is Rory?
- Who is the Doctor?
- 900 years of time and space and I’ve never met someone who wasn’t important
- What do you want?! A simple life…
- Were you extra charming and clever? Yes, how’d you know!
- Overall rating out of 10
- Austin – 10 half-sonics
- Corbin – 8.5 sky fishies
- Tripp – 10 choking sharks
The Game Plan
Next week, we’re heading into 2022 with a bang, er… a Dalek… We’re covering Eve of the Daleks! Then, we finally go back to our Master Plan and watch Logopolis. Then, by request, we’re headed to Disney+ for Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Just a heads up, this one is rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action. According to IMDb, there’s no cussing, no nudity, and seems mostly bloodless.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Thing One: Tripp Reason. Our Production Editor is the Other One: Corbin Reason. Special thanks to tardis.fandom.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at Facebook or Twitter or email us. Consider supporting us. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.