Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet hosted by three potatoes: It’s the Noobs and the… Noob?
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian? and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who HASN’T seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 180 covering Series 13 episode 2 entitled Doctor Who: Flux, Chapter 2 – War of the Sontarans.
This is the one where the Doctor and her companions fight potatoes on a horse!
- Story #297b
- Originally aired November 7, 2021 to 3.96 million viewers
- Written by: Chibs
- Directed by: Jamie Magnus Stone
- Corbin, look into this and discuss on the show
Noobs and the Whovian is brought to you by Probie. Are you tired of getting knocked out any time you happen to be facing the wrong way? Tired of being the level 1 boss in an 80’s video game? Woks, mallets, slingshots, ANYTHING can take you down in one swipe! You need Probie, the probic vent cover. It’s just a cap that goes over the probic vent. Like, literally made out of ANY sturdy materials. I can screw on, or flip up, it really doesn’t matter, it just COVERS THE VENT!
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Creature of the week
- Much more Classic Who style
- Kinda severe. Breach of curfew results in immediate execution
- They’ve taken over Russia & China
- There is no such thing as pain! It hurt a little
- Is there a difference between Sontar-Ha and Sontar-Ho?
- The wikia notes that it is the negative exclamation, first used here
- They started their invasion in Liverpool?
- Sontaran Temporal Command
- The Flux is neither of their design or control, but their Psychic Command foresaw
- Commander Skaak wanted to ride a horse
- Your blood shall soak our uniforms, your bodies shall soften our steps
- If they genuinely refuel ALL their suits at the same time, they are the stupidest military force in the universe
- From too many doors to NO doors!
- Why did it suddenly show up at the end? With doors?!
- Stuff is growing everywhere
- It got hijacked and brought to the Temple of Atropos
- The Doctor’s signal for parlay was used heavily in the trailers and seemed much more important than a spacey wacey alarm bell
Other stuff we noticed
- The crazy black and white, broken, floaty mansion at the beginning: was that the one Diane went into?
- Wait… how did they get there? What happened when the Flux caught up to them?!
- Did the same thing happen to Vinder? It seemed like the Flux caught him and he woke up somewhere else
- The right to silence under Article Cyan K-Z Slothback of the Shadow Proclamation
- Dan was gone for 2 days
- Temple of Atropos on the Planet of Time, all time passes through the Mouri, MUST pass through the Mouri. Time used to run wild.
- Time is destruction, the Mouri are control. Time is evil and it will seek its own.
- Swarm calls Atropos where it all began and where it will all begin again
- The Spatio-temporal readings are at zero, which is impossible
- I love it when waste tubes have internal, circular lights. Ya know, so the waste has a cool atmosphere on its way down
- Who is Mary Seacole?
- Real historical character
- Doctress to the soldiers
- A true pioneer – built the British Hotel out of whatever she could find
- Hello dear. I don’t understand any of this!
- Who is Karvanista?
- He’s still got a human in this fight
- But why aren’t ALL the Lupari down there helping out?
- Until Scooby-Doo here tried to take all the credit
- Hope I never see you again. The feeling’s mutual.
- How important is he?
- Who is Williamson?
- It seems like he got transported here too – it insists on shifting
- Who is Swarm?
- He knows Yaz. I don’t think we’ve met. Such linear creatures
- Their names are translations but they’ll do
- Who is Azure?
- I am Azure and I am your death
- She’s more powerful than before
- Who is Passenger?
- Is Passenger actually Diane
- Who is Claire?
- Who is Vinder?
- Serving Commander Inston-Vee Vinder of Kasto-Winfer-Foxfell
- Who is Dan Lewis?
- He’s way too casual about “last thing I remember, we were in your TARDIS”
- I’ve had some experience with aliens these last few days
- Have ya?! For them, it’s been 2 days. For him it’s been like 12 hours.
- And their obsessed with Japanese food. Keep talking about Tempura Command, Tempura Offensive
- He took a REALLY long time to raise that wok and hit that Sontaran
- I’m gonna wok right out of here!
- You wanna come?
- Who is Yasmin “Yaz” Khan?
- I need a universal GPS so I’ll know where I am whenever this happens. Cause it DOES keep happening.
- WWTDD? Is this going to be significant in some way, cuz it was kinda weird
- Who is the Doctor?
- I speak for more people than you can possibly imagine
- Escort this “Doctress” back to camp
- Why does she take any interest in you, in any of you.
- I’m gonna need a pointy stick
- Mad at the general
Can we talk about the Flux?
- Is it the ribbon from Star Trek?
- A gateway to another dimension
- Russia is only remembered like an echo from another time
Classic Who Connection
- Overall rating out of 10
- Jared – 8.5 neck pinches
- Austin – 9 probic vent covers
- Corbin – 8 Serving Commander Inston-Vee Vinder of Kasto-Winfer-Foxfell
- Tripp – 8 potatoes on horses
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 100
- Austin – 50
- Corbin – 20
- Tripp – 30
- Jared – Swarm was a Time Lord or comes from the attempt to give Time Lords regenerations (connected to the Timeless Child storyline).
- Tripp – Swarm made the flux as the ultimate challenge to the doctor. The doctor and swarm are from the same dimension, but not same race. Dan is descendant of williamson. Williamson figured something out that made dan special. Karvanista knows it and underplays it. Dan is somehow important to the division.
- Austin – The Flux is the Nexus that takes you to the Timeless Child’s universe/dimension
- Passenger is Diane
- Something’s up with Dan. I think he is a Timelord
- There is a connection between Williamson and Dan, they might be the same person
The Game Plan
- Doctor Who: Flux, Chapter 3 – Once, Upon Time
- After Series 13, we want to do a Best Of series. We’re going to cover our favorite story from each NuWho Doctor, and then our favorite Festive special! And by “our” I mean “all of us”. Go to noobsandthewhovian.com/bestof to take the survey and help us pick the very best of NuWho.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Thing One: Tripp Reason. Our Production Editor is the Other One: Corbin Reason. Special thanks to tardis.fandom.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at Facebook or Twitter or email us. Consider supporting us. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.