Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet recording a New Year’s special on Halloween! It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 178 covering the 2021 New Year’s special: Revolution of the Daleks
This is the one where Captain Jack breaks out the Doctor with a bubble, humans build the Daleks again, the Daleks kill the Daleks again, and the Doctor “kills the Daleks forever”. . . again. But for real this time. Again.
- Story #296
- Originally aired January 1, 2021 to 6.25 million viewers
- Written by: Chibs
- Directed by: Lee Haven Jones
- This was the first episode to debut on a streaming service first. It was released 10 minutes early on BBC’s iPlayer.
- The Doctor tells herself a bedtime story that is, of course, the intro to Harry Potter.
- Corbin recently discovered that Daniel Radcliffe has dyspraxia
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Creature of the week
- Tactical Dalek!
- To billions of people, Dalek means hate.
- New powers
- The Dalek consciousness can survive in the tiniest fragment
- This is the same Dalek that was split into 3 parts thousands of years ago
- Apparently they can still beam across the planet without any technology
- And apparently they can create the death ray with their tentacles?
- Latching on to people and controlling them.
- The Dalek consciousness can survive in the tiniest fragment
- Death Squad Daleks – enforcers of the race, purging Dalek impurities
- The Doctor coded their TARDIS to their DNA
- Your time machine isn’t the best at running on time, is it Doc?
- Four minutes to Osaka.
- Psychic paper
- Ryan and Graham both got one!
- Random Jiggery Pokery
- The return of the square gun!
- Jibberty Jabberty
- Temporal freezing gateway disinhibitor bubble – a breakout ball!
Other stuff we noticed
- Other stuff we DIDN’T notice!
- The prison had a Weeping Angel, whom the Doctor nicknamed “Angela”; an Ood, whom the Doctor nicknamed “Bonnie”, with a Sycorax, whom the Doctor nicknamed “Clyde”; a Pting, whom the Doctor nicknamed “Tiny”; as well as a Silent, a Skithra, a Gathering Coil, a Cyberman, and a Thijarian.
- Jack Robertson? Spider guy?
- Wait, where were those Daleks hiding during the Prime Minister’s speech? Just off camera?!
- Tripp got a major revelation! This was NOT, in fact, a regeneration episode
- (Jack Robertson): wait, what happened?! Ryan: still not telling him? Graham: nope!
- Who is Captain Jack?
- How did he recognize her?!
- Have you had work done? YOU can talk!
- Corbin has a thought
- He got himself arrested and then spent 19 years getting next to her cell. But why didn’t he just use the time vortex manipulator to jump in and out?
- Gold star for rescuing!
- The Daleks killed me once, no big deal!
- When I die, I come back pretty quickly. Mostly her fault, partly her friend Rose from Earth. But she’s stuck in a parallel universe now. (Yaz) She wha?!
- (Yaz) Are you feeling insecure? Cos you seem to need a lot of praise.
- In that whole scene, Jack mentions how the Doctor abandoned him. We were confused about what that was all about. He was referencing when the Ninth Doctor abandoned him in The Parting of the Ways.
- May I blow it up? Yes. My kinda plan!
- What was with that send off?!
- Who is Ryan Sinclair?
- His time off from the TARDIS has been good.
- There’s lots of work to do on Earth.
- Corbin: and we’re going to tackle those issues one at a time!
- His mates and his planet need him. He’s staying.
- Before meeting her, he didn’t know what he wanted to do with his life.
- Who is Graham O’Brien?
- He’s a silver fox!
- He doesn’t wanna miss out on Ryan.
- He and Ryan are off to save the world, after Ryan learns to ride a bike.
- What was with Ghost Grace?!
- Who is Yasmin “Yaz” Khan?
- Trying to be the Doctor – whatever you’re doing, we’re going to stop ya. Very Doctory
- She’s good. (Ryan) Yeah, we all are!
- When she thought she’d lost the Doctor, and then she wished she’d never met her because knowing her and losing her, that’s worse.
- Will you… STAY, YES! I’m not ready to leave you yet…
- Who is the Doctor?
- She was evading the Judoon, twice at once
- I was in space jail!
- Why didn’t she mention that it was 19 years (at LEAST!) for her?
- Being with the Doctor, you don’t get to choose when it stops. Whether she leaves you, or you leave her.
- She’s having a SERIOUS identity crisis!
- Mostly… angry
- I’m the Doctor. .I’m the one who stops the Daleks.
- When have I ever let you down? I won’t disappear again. (Yaz) Yeah, you will. One day, you will.
- You will not escape us! Yes, I will. Every time!
- Two hearts. One happy, one sad.
Classic Who Connections
- In The Power of the Daleks, (a Second Doctor serial) humans tried to use Daleks as a defense weapon. This is a lost serial, and it is the first post regeneration serial for the show. It has been recreated through animation with the original soundtrack.
- Overall rating out of 10
- Jared – 6.5 – 367 minute time lapses
- Austin – 9 LED Daleks
- Corbin – 7.5 square juns
- Tripp – 9 dalek water guns
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 25
- Austin – 75
- Corbin – 25
- Tripp – 25
- Fate of the companions
- Tripp – Ryan; Graham & Yaz stay
- Corbin – all staying until next season
The Game Plan
- Holy cow, you guys! We’re here! We caught up! By the time you’re listening to this episode, you’ve probably already seen The Halloween Apocalypse. So, we’ll be covering that next week.
- After Series 13, we want to do a Best Of series. We’re going to cover our favorite story from each NuWho Doctor, and then our favorite Festive special! And by “our” I mean “all of us”. Go to noobsandthewhovian.com/bestof to take the survey and help us pick the very best of NuWho.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Thing One: Tripp Reason. Our Production Editor is the Other One: Corbin Reason. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at Facebook or Twitter or email us. Consider supporting us at Patreon. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.