Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that knows how to say “patent.” It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 172 covering series 12 episode 4: Nikola Tesla’s Night of Terror
This is the one where the doctor and her companions try to teach you history and fail. Also apparently Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla met aliens and just never said anything about it. And Tesla invented the 21st century.
- Story #290
- Originally aired January 19, 2020 to 5.2 million viewers
- Written by: Nina Métivier
- Directed by: Nida Manzoor
- Nikola Tesla – Goran Višnjić
- Garcia Flynn on Timeless
- Queen Skithra – Anjli Mohindra
- Rani Chandra in Sarah Jane Adventures
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Almost in print: Night of Tesla Terror on the newspaper board
- Creature of the week
- Where was it before it showed up in Tesla’s office?!
- Its internal dimensions exceed its external dimensions – Tesla’s smarty pants way of saying it’s bigger on the inside
- I made it myself, mostly out of spoons
- Jibberty Jabberty
- Slimurian laser blaster
- Psyonic energy cloaking?
Other stuff we noticed
- Wait, how’d they get on the train?
- That’s not how you say “patent”
- Let them talk. The present is theirs. I work for the future and the future is mine!
- Who is Ryan Sinclair?
- Nicholas something…
- I was at home, working. Then BOOM, the Doctor showed up. Changed my whole life.
- Who is Graham O’Brien?
- This ain’t our first rodeo. You’ve never been to a rodeo. You’re NOT helping, Ryan.
- Who is Yasmin “Yaz” Khan?
- What is with her and teleporters?!
- Who is the Doctor?
- Is she always this impertinent? Yeah.
- You’re an inventor! I have my moments…
- She’s good at impossible (Ryan)
Can we talk about Nikola Tesla and Thomas Edison?
- Tesla understanding alien technology
Classic Who Connections
- The Doctor has a toolbox
- The Doctor is an inventor/tinkerer
- The Doctor in New York
- Overall rating out of 10
- Jared – 8.5 shocking tales
- Austin – 7 misplaced TARDISes
- Corbin – 6.5 upside down teeth
- Tripp – 6 murderous elephants
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 100
- Austin – 200
- Corbin – 120
- Tripp – 170
- Who is the Timeless Child?
- Tripp – something from the Doctor and the Master’s past that they don’t remember
- Corbin – it’s not related to them at all
- What does it all mean?
The Game Plan
Next week, we’re covering series 12 episode 5, Fugitive of the Judoon.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Thing One: Tripp Reason. Our Production Editor is the Other One: Corbin Reason. Special thanks to tardis.fandom.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at Facebook or Twitter or email us. Consider supporting us. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.