Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that’s never heard of the Daleks. It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 169 covering the 2019 New Year’s Special: Resolution
This is the one where the doctor and her companions meet a couple and a brain squid in the sewers of Sheffield. Oh, and Ryan’s dad came back.
- Story #287
- Originally aired January 1, 2019 to 6.95 million viewers
- Written by: Chris Chibnall
- Directed by: Wayne Yip
- They really did find King Richard in a car park in Leicester
- Aaron – Daniel Adegboyega
- 6 Underground
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Creature of the week
- Dalek Recon Scout
- Mind control?
- The Doctor thinks she’s always gotten rid of them…
- What’s she talking about? Alien psychopath
- How many times are the armed forces going to be ignorant of their existence?
- They melted his Dalekium shell with torches?
- You can use peanut butter to grease the geo-feudal locks
- She turned off his laser?
- He broke her sonic?
- Random Jiggery Pokery
- Geo-tracking fused to the holoprojectors.
- It’s my supreme tech skillz, with a Z
- Name Dropping
- Take three of these an hour for four hours. Don’t take with alcohol or you’ll grow a second head. THAT was an embarrassing party!
Other stuff we noticed
- Cosmic fireworks sound a lot like regular fireworks
- She leaves a little alarm on for Earth, because it’s there home
- The Black Archive – haven’t been here since The Zygon Inversion (?)
- UNIT got shut down!
- It’s fundamentally important to the defense of earth against alien invasion. Yes, but when did that last happen? NOW! RIGHT NOW!
- We saw the Doctor forge her own sonic, no we’ve seen a Dalek forge it’s own casing
- How long’s a rel?
- Gang? Extended fam?
- Who is Ryan Sinclair?
- Called Graham “gramps”
- Who is Graham O’Brien?
- He got left behind during an emergency peanut butter run
- Who is Yasmin “Yaz” Khan?
- We’re always with you!
- Who is the Doctor?
- She calls the doorbell an intruder alert
- She told Ryan’s dad exactly how she feels
- Dads are complicated. So I’ve heard…
- That was my best skid ever
- Overall rating out of 10
- Jared – 7 Best/Worst of the Daleks
- Austin – 7 microwave oven ovens
- Corbin – 6 tech skillz with a z
- Tripp – 6.5 ryans dads
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 40
- Austin – 50
- Corbin – 20
- Tripp – 15
- Will they or won’t they?
- Corbin – if ever it will be next season
- Tripp – yes they will, but it’s gonna take till the end of the season
- Jared – I agree with Tripp
- Who makes it out of this season?
- Tripp – if Ryan and Yaz don’t get together, Yaz is gonna die
- Corbin – everybody lives/stays!
The Game Plan
Next week, we’re covering the series 12 two-part premiere, Spyfall Parts 1 & 2
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Thing One: Tripp Reason. Our Production Editor is the Other One: Corbin Reason. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at Facebook or Twitter or email us. Consider supporting us at Patreon. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.