Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet hosted by a trio-species. It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 168 covering season 11 episode 10: The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos
This is the one where the doctor and her (*boomer voice) “fam” finds a weird orb that is what’s left of a planet and turns out there’s eye magic and Tim Shaw for no reason.
- Story #286
- Originally aired December 9, 2018 to 6.65 million viewers
- Written by: Chibs
- Directed by: Jamie Childs
- This was the first NuWho series finale to not be set on Earth even partially
- Also the first NuWho series finale to not include any Classic Who monsters at all
- Andinio – Phyllis Logan
- Mrs. Hughes in Downton Abbey
- If Mrs. O’Brien was one of my least favorite character with no redeeming quality, Mrs. Hughes is the exact opposite. In fact, yesterday, I randomly came across an old FB post of mine declaring that I thought the show was secretly about her!
- Paltraki – Mark Addy
- Robert Baratheon in Game of Thrones
- Friar Tuck in the Russell Crowe Robinhood
- Roland in A Knight’s Tale
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Creature of the week
- The Ux – a duo species only found on three planets, lifespans of millenia
- Why did they assume that Tzim Sha was the creator?
- See the sign on the front? We respond to urgent calls.
- She summoned the TARDIS with her sonic
- She installed a clapper for the lights?!
- Random Jiggery Pokery
- Neural stabilizers
- Name Dropping
- She half-invented wellies
- Adventures in closed captioning!
- Cyberbots, sniperbots
- Why did he have sniperbots? That was a different story
- The wikia says that the Stenza had conquered Desolation. I forgot about that!
- Cyberbots, sniperbots
Other stuff we noticed
- Ranskoor Av Kolos – disintegrator of the soul
- It’s like Desolation
- Who is Ryan Sinclair?
- He loves Graham, grandad!
- Finally gave Graham a fist-bump
- Who is Graham O’Brien?
- And it has to be us, does it? No, but everyone else has passed them by, should we do the same?
- He stands toe to toe with the Doctor about killing Tzim Sha
- Grace actually really liked being alive and she was good at it.
- Who is Yasmin “Yaz” Khan?
- She’s from Earth. Psh! What kind of word is THAT?! It’s better than Stebble!
- She likes “fam”
- Who is the Doctor?
- She can’t let Graham travel with them anymore if he kills Tim Shaw
- Her rules change all the time, don’t quote them back to her!
- I don’t have to answer all these questions. That’s what my teachers used to say, just before they quit teaching!
- You look in a bad way, whereas I’ve got a new coat! What do ya think?
- The Doctor of Hope
- Keep your faith, travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly
Can we talk about putting Tzim Sha in stasis?
Classic Who Connections
- The Pirate Planet is a serial written by Douglas Adams where The Fourth Doctor ends up in the wrong place, planet Zanak, which has been hollowed out and hyperspace engines attached so they can make the planet materialize around smaller planets and plunder their resources.
- Overall rating out of 10
- Jared – 5 Graham’s revenge
- Austin – 5 little spinny planets
- Corbin – 5 terminator stances
- Tripp – 4.5 tooth faces
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 49
- Austin – 50
- Corbin – 50
- Tripp – 50
- Will they or won’t they?
- Corbin – if ever it will be next season
- Tripp – yes they will, but it’s gonna take till the end of the season
- Jared – I agree with Tripp
- Who makes it out of this season?
- Tripp – if Ryan and Yaz don’t get together, Yaz is gonna die
- Corbin – everybody lives/stays!
The Game Plan
Next week, we’re covering season 11 finale, The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos.