Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that are totally tubular! It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 167 covering season 11 episode 9: It Takes You Away
This is the one where the doctor and her companions find a horrible parent who emotionally abuses his blind kid. Then they fight flesh-eating moths and frogs or some crap like that.
- Story #285
- Originally aired December 2, 2018 to 6.42 million viewers
- Written by: Ed Hime
- Directed by: Jamie Childs
- The Woman Who Fell to Earth, Demons of the Punjab, and next week’s The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos
- Also did some Poldark and His Dark Materials
- Hanne – Ellie Wallwork
- First blind actor to play a blind character in Who
- Played in Call the Midwife, which Graham referenced a in The Tsuranga Conundrum
- Grace – Sharon D. Clarke
- EastEnders in 1986 & 2011 as two different characters
- Plays a counselor in the Elton John biopic, Rocketman
- Most importantly, she’s a voice in World of Warcraft
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Yup, several times
- Creature of the week
- She loves her sonic!
- Such a shiny tubular!
- Jibberty Jabberty
- It’s a juddering dimensional portal in a mirror in a Norwegian bedroom.
Other stuff we noticed
- It’s fine, it’s only 2018. I thought we’d landed in the middle of the Wooly Rebellion. In 193 years, there’s a total renegotiation of the human-sheep relationship. Utter bloodbath!
- I’m not the one who smells of my own wee. That’s not my… wee.
- Fake outs on fake outs!
- We’re lead to believe there’s a monster, but no, it’s the Solitract.
- We’re lead to believe the Solitract is evil, but no, it’s just lonely!
- Who is Ryan Sinclair?
- It’s not hard for him to imagine Hanne’s dad leaving her there
- Finally called Graham “grandad”!
- Who is Graham O’Brien?
- He carries a cheese and pickle sandwich with him every time he leaves the TARDIS!
- I wasn’t lured. It’s not like I gave my credit card details
- He was looking for Grace his whole life
- He has to choose between the love of his life, or the real world
- Who is Yasmin “Yaz” Khan?
- Her police training makes her good with kids
- Who is the Doctor?
- We’ve seen them eat grass and such to determine where they are, but have we ever seen them straight munching on soil?!
- No, I want you to follow THIS nutter into the dark!
- She had seven grandmothers, but Granny Five was her favorite. She said Granny Two was a secret spy for the Zygons
- She’s seen more, lived more, loved more, and lost more.
Can we talk about how stupid this episode is?
- Grace and Trine felt like themselves. They even remember dying!
- The Solitract Plane
- It was a consciousness, an energy, that ruined everything basic about our universe
- Somehow, the unconscious universe exiled the Solitract into some separate plane of existence
- Now a conscious universe that’s a frog
Classic Who Connections
- Another “reverse the polarity” reference!!! That’s mostly to the Third Doctor
- Overall rating out of 10
- Jared – 9.5 Conscious aspects of existence that prefer the form of a frog
- Austin – 7.5 out Scooby Doo reveals
- Corbin – 5 shiny tubulars
- Tripp – 6.5 dumb frogs
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 200
- Austin – 275
- Corbin – 75
- Tripp – 100
- Will they or won’t they?
- Corbin – if ever it will be next season
- Tripp – yes they will, but it’s gonna take till the end of the season
- Jared – I agree with Tripp
- Who makes it out of this season?
- Tripp – if Ryan and Yaz don’t get together, Yaz is gonna die
- Corbin – everybody lives/stays!
The Game Plan
Next week, we’re covering season 11 finale, The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Thing One: Tripp Reason. Our Production Editor is the Other One: Corbin Reason. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at Facebook or Twitter or email us. Consider supporting us at Patreon. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.