Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet who’s hungry like the pting. It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 163 covering season 11 episode 5: The Tsuranga Conundrum
This is the one where the Doctor and her companions blow up, fight a black hole, give birth, pilot a ship with their mind, make up some diseases, and defend CERN with not phasers.
- Story #281
- Originally aired November 4, 2018 to 7.76 million viewers
- Written by: Chris Chibnall
- Directed by: Jennifer Perrott
- This one and Kerblam!
- Tim Price is credited at the end for creating the Pting. He was in the writer’s room in early series 11. He named the Pting, but wasn’t still around to write the actual episode, so Chibs did it
- Mabli – Lois Chimimba
- Starred alongside Whitaker in Trust Me
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Creature of the week
- Threat level Chalice, one above Beetroot
- Barely seen in the whole episode
- Sonic mines
- Astos tried to block the sonic with his hand!
- It got eaten by the Pting
- Why wasn’t it destroyed
- Jibberty Jabberty
- Eve Cicero is mentioned in the Book of Celebrants for her part in defeating the Army of the Aeons in the Battle of the Underkind.
Other stuff we noticed
- How much would you have to EAT to gestate a baby in a week!?
- The shortest gestation period is the Virginian opposum at 12 days
- The longest is the Indian elephant at 22 months
- The 67th century is a bit tricky in the middle, but it works out by the end
- The great super hero Avocado Pear – WHAT?!
- Who is Ryan Sinclair?
- Ryan realizes he’s the same age now that his dad was when he was born. It makes his dad’s actions make more sense to him
- He found his mom after she died of a sudden massive heart attack
- Who is Graham O’Brien?
- They’re blokes, ain’t they
- Who is Yasmin “Yaz” Khan?
- Who is the Doctor?
- Very common name…
- She has an ectospleen?
- I’m the Doctor. Are you kidding? Sometimes…
- She doesn’t like being told what to do
- Doctor of medicine, science, candy floss, Lego, philosophy, music, problems, people, hope, mostly hope
- She was FASCINATED with the particle accelerator
- The Doctor of Hope
- People prevail. Hope prevails
Classic Who Connections
- This isn’t the first time the Doctor has lost the TARDIS
- The Doctor also noted that they were on a ship, not a planet by the vibrations in The Ark in Space
- Overall rating out of 10
- Jared – 7.5 Books of Celebrants
- Austin – 8 pilot hearts
- Corbin – 7.5 ptings
- Tripp – 8 cool ways to fly
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 75
- Austin – 75
- Corbin – 150
- Tripp – 2
- Will they or won’t they?
- Corbin – I hope not, but probably
- Tripp – yes they will, but it’s gonna take till the end of the season
- Tripp thought Ryan was telling Yaz all the stuff about his parents because he likes her
The Game Plan
- Next week, we’re covering season 11 episode 6, Demons of the Punjab
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Thing One: Tripp Reason. Our Production Editor is the Other One: Corbin Reason. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at Facebook or Twitter or email us. Consider supporting us at Patreon. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.