Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that has no more Kevin! It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 162 covering season 11 episode 4: Arachnids in the UK
This is the one where the Doctor and her companions let giant spiders suffocate to death, and not Trump shoots it because it better for ‘merica.
- Story #280
- Originally aired October 28, 2018 to 8.22 million viewers
- Written by: Chris Chibnall
- Directed by: Sallie Aprahamian
- Yasmine Khan – Mandip Gill
- Phoebe McQueen in Hollyoaks for several years
- Yasmin in Suspicion, which is currently in production
- I think she might be the 14th Doctor, just based on her IMDb
- Shazia in Doctors
- And Doctor in 2020: The Movie
- Jack Robertson – Chris Noth
- Hillstreet Blues
- Law & Order
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Creature of the week
- Psychic paper
- Crisis Investigators
- Name Dropping
- She and Amelia Earhart had to deal with spider silk as thick as a pencil
Other stuff we noticed
- It’s only been half an hour since they were in the warehouse
- The whole race on Desolation and the Rosa incident (say, two days each, yeah?) plus 14 other attempts to get home. So they’ve been about a week, right?
- I have no more Kevin!
- I think whatever allows spiders to walk on walls and ceilings would break down when the spider is the size of a VW bug instead of a regular bug
- Spider mother in the ballroom – Edith Wharton
- They all decide they want to keep travelling.
- Graham – it helps with his grief
- Ryan doesn’t want to go back to the warehouse job
- Yaz wants more of the universe, and the Doctor is basically the best person she’s ever met.
- The Doctor basically tries to talk them out of it, which is a little different than in the past.
- My fam! Team TARDIS?
- Who is Jack Robertson?
- Are you Ed Sheeran? Isn’t everyone talking about Ed Sheeran right now?
- He’s running for President in 2020. Ed Sheeran?!
- Who is Ryan Sinclair?
- Just Yaz’s friend…
- Who is Graham O’Brien?
- Word of advice, run now, ask questions later.
- Who is Yasmin “Yaz” Khan?
- Her mom made a very awesome human
- Are you two seeing each other? I don’t think so, are we?
- Who is the Doctor?
- Back in the box. By yourself? Yeah… (kicks a rock)
- She’s never been for tea at Yaz’s
- She’d be good in a flat. Imagine me with a sofa
- She might be socially awkward. Still figuring herself out
- No, she’s DEFINITELY socially awkward.
- She loves a conspiracy
- She used to have sisters. Used to BE a sister, in the aqua hospital which turned out to be a training camp for the Quiston Calcium Assassins
- She’s in charge. Says who? SAYS US!
- She eats danger for breakfast. Actually, cereal, or a croissant…
Can we talk about guns and humanity?
- At the risk of sounding like a broken country record in Texas… what’s the deal with guns?
- Is it better for the spider mother in the ballroom to suffocate and the rest to starve to death (possibly eat each other) than to be mercifully put down?
- I’m the future President of the United States. How’s this for fire and fury? This is what the world needs right now. This is what’s going to get me into the White House.
Classic Who Connections
- The Doctor saw Giant webs over everything as the Second Doctor in Web of Fear but that was because the Yetis had web guns and were acting under the orders of the Great Intelligence.
- The Doctor also saw a giant spider as the Third Doctor in The Planet of the Spiders. These were from a species called Eight Legs which were a race of mutated spiders.
- In the Green Death, the Third Doctor dealt with grub like arthropods that had mutated after coming into contact with toxic waste.
- Overall rating out of 10
- Jared – 7 Arachnophobias
- Austin – 8 true conspiracy theories
- Corbin – 6.5 not Trumps
- Tripp – 7 mericas
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 175
- Austin – 300
- Corbin – 250
- Tripp – 150
- Will they or won’t they?
- Corbin – I hope not, but probably
- Tripp – yes they will, but it’s gonna take till the end of the season
The Game Plan
Next week, we’re covering season 11 episode 5, The Tsuranga Conundrum