Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that doesn’t have a foley artist on staff. It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 156 covering series 10 episode 10, The Eaters of Light.
This is the one where the Doctor and Bill work with Romans and Scots to beat the crap out of a photosynthesis monster that will eat all light in the universe.
- Story #274
- Originally aired June 17, 2017 to 4.73 million viewers
- Written by: Rona Munro
- She has three unique distinctions in the Whoniverse:
- First, she has the longest gap between writing of two stories in Doctor Who so far at 27 years, 6 months, and 11 days
- Second, she is currently the only writer to have written for both Classic Era and NuWho
- Third, she wrote Survival, which is the final serial of Classic Who
- Directed by: Charles Palmer
- Smith & Jones, Shakespeare Code, Human Nature/Family of Blood
- But also Oxygen
- With its 4.73 million viewers, this was the least watched story of NuWho thus far. However, it still pulled down 30% of the viewing public that night in the UK!
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Several times
- Creature of the week
- The Eaters of Light – they are from another dimension
- Apparently they don’t make sounds when you hit them, or when they move, or for any other reason…
- Jiggery Pokery
- Bill never noticed got why all the aliens speak English
- It not only translates, it does lip-sync too
- But it makes everyone sound like a child to the Doctor
Other stuff we noticed
- They went to 2nd century Aberdeen to settle a bet
- Crows can talk, they’re just in a collective huff because we stopped listening
- Except that actually they’re remembering Kar
- Bodies seemed like they were deprived of sunlight for an extended period of time: Death by Scotland…
Corbin has feelings about crows?
- Who is Bill?
- She’s only into women. But Lucius won’t hold her narrow-mindedness against her!
- Scared is fine, scared is human!
- Who is Nardole?
- He’s in his jammies for this one!
- Who is Missy?
- She understands the universe, she sees it but she never hears the music
- She’s crying more often now. Or is she…?
- Who is the Doctor?
- He was a Roman farmer, juggler, and vestal virgin second class
- It’s not always fun being right
- He’s against charm
- He usually ends up being boss of the locals (Bill)
- The trouble with hope is that it’s hard to resist.
Classic Who Connections
- Again, we have the Mary Celeste used as a reason for why people may go mysteriously missing, except this was a new story from Nardole as to why they crew disappeared.
- The Doctor says he once lived as a Roman. This would be from The Romans when he inadvertently caused the fire of Rome.
- Roman legion etcetera second class?
- Overall rating out of 10
- Jared – 6.5 tunes he can’t get out of his head
- Austin – 7 Kars
- Corbin – 6 mary celestes
- Tripp – 8 scared romans
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 50
- Austin – 200
- Corbin – 100
- Tripp – 100
- How does Bill leave?
- Tripp: she dies, she sacrifices herself to save the universe
- Corbin: Missy kills her
- Jared: Missy uses her as a pawn to escape and that will drive Bill to quit the TARDIS
- Is Missy turning good?
- I mean, SHE CRIED, yall!
- Tripp: she’ll change a bit, but not really
- She’ll look like she’s good, but then turn back
- Corbin: not at all
- What’s up with the Sims Master returning?
- Tripp says he’s the Master and Missy never was
- The next story is a simulation, so the Sims Master is part of the simulation
The Game Plan
- Next week, we’re covering series 10 episodes 11 – 12, World Enough and Time , and The Doctor Falls before we head into the LAST CHRISTMAS SPECIAL EVER: Twice Upon a Time!
- After that, we’re a bit iffy…
- As of recording, Series 13’s release date hasn’t been announced.
- If we stick with the current schedule, we’ll be ready to cover Series 13 live on December 12. So if it doesn’t come out before then, we’re golden!
- However, if we strip away all the Timey Wimeys and the Master Plan, we’d be ready by November 7th. So if it comes out before then, we’ll have to figure something out.
- So, everybody listening right now needs to write a letter to the BBC asking them to NOT release series 13 until November 7th at the EARLIEST, and preferably on December 12th
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Thing One: Tripp Reason. Our Production Editor is the Other One: Corbin Reason. Special thanks to tardis.fandom.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at Facebook or Twitter or email us. Consider supporting us. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.