Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that ISN’T a simulation! It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 151 covering series 10 episode 6, Extremis.
This is the one where the Doctor doesn’t save the world from aliens but then does.
- Story #270
- Originally aired May 20, 2017 to 5.53 million viewers
- Written by: Steven Mofatt
- Directed by: Daniel Nettheim – The Zygon Invasion/Inversion & next week’s The Pyramid at the End of the World
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- At least a half dozen times
- Creature of the week
- Zombie monks
- Jiggery Pokery
- Why was the Pope’s Italian not translated
- The wikia said no reason is given, but then mentions that the Doctor says “the virtual pope doesn’t zoom around in his popemobile.”
- Was it not translating because it was a glitch in the Matrix?!
- Why was the Pope’s Italian not translated
Other stuff we noticed
- Pope Benedict IX, nice girl!
- Of course there’s wifi, it’s a library.
- Why does CERN have a crap ton of TNT on hand at any given time?!
- Also is that all the people that work at CERN
- Star Trek reference!
- Mario reference
- The Doctor watched this episode with us! Everything from the title sequence on was the video from the email. That’s why it glitched out at that point and at the end when it switched back.
- How were the aliens planning to invade the earth
Corbin has feelings about…
- Computer randomness
- Imagine a function that computes pseudo-random numbers (doesn’t matter what) it generates random number x. Then next time it goes to generate a number it uses x as a factor in the equation.
- Who is Nardole?
- He was sent after the Doctor from Darillium by River.
- Are you secretly a badass? No secret about it, baby doll.
- Who is Bill?
- Last place she tried to move into didn’t work out so well
- When I’m on a date, under NO circumstances put the Pope in my bedroom!
- Who is Missy?
- My condolences (in regard to River)
- Who is the Doctor?
- He has two hearts and THREE brain stems
- His confession would take too much time…
- Only in darkness are we revealed. Goodness is not goodness that seeks advantage. Good is good in the final hour. In the deepest pit, without hope, without witness, without reward. Virtue is only virtue in extremis. This is what he believes. And this is the reason above all I love him. My husband, my madman in a box, my Doctor.
- You’re an idiot. Everyone knows that.
- I don’t believe in much, but right now belief is all I am.
- You don’t have to be real to be the Doctor, as long as you never give up! As long as you always trick the bad guys into their own traps.
- I’m doing what everyone does when the world is in danger: I’m calling the Doctor!
- I’m a scary handsome genius from outerspace.
- You stand alone. Often. You should be scared. Never.
- DEBATE TIME! Was that the Doctor?
Can we talk about existential nihilism?
- I find the timing of this episode in our podcast to be intriguing because my news feed has been blowing up lately with headlines about “are we living in a simulation?” I haven’t read any, so I’m not sure why it’s popping up lately, because this is not new.
- Go over the simulation theory. The math is hard to argue with.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson sees it differently
- However, my basic reaction to “are we living in a simulation?” is “so what?!”
- If we are, it’s probably impossible to know.
- If we are, it doesn’t change the basic nature of our reality.
- If we’re simulations, but we’re so good we don’t even know it, what difference does it make? You can’t say “but it’s not real” because I’ll just answer “what is real?”
- We should still work for a better world, love the people around us, strive to understand our universe better whether it’s made of quarks and gluons or zeroes and ones!
- So why the mass suicides?
- You don’t “escape the game.” You just stop existing.
Classic Who Connections
- Time Lords have different chapters that go along with their personality and status. The Doctor was a member of the Prydonian Chapter. Members of this chapter are usually described as cunning, devious, strong leaders (most of the Time Lord Presidents were from that chapter) and also prone to be renegades. They swore vows and, as we’ll see in The Deadly Assassin, when a Time Lord forswears those vows and the Prydonian birthright, they can be dangerous. In this episode, the Doctor swears an oath to guard Missy as a Time Lord of the Prydonian Chapter.
- The Fourth Doctor also found himself in a copy of Earth that was being used to practice for a full-scale invasion in The Android Invasion.
- Overall rating out of 10
- Jared – 9 machines that rob from your future to give you temporary powers in the present
- Austin – 9 simulations
- Corbin – 9 incorrect uses of rng
- Tripp – 10 ZOMBIE MONKS
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 150
- Austin – 300
- Corbin – 150
- Tripp – 250
- He took an oath to not leave Earth.
- Do these look like off-world clothes?
- You said you were going for tea. And here I am, in my specially chosen tea-clothes
- What’s in the vault?
- Corbin: A villain, Lady Me?
- Tripp: The Master
- Jared : Missy (the Master)
- Who did he make the vow to?
- Corbin: Maybe River?
- Tripp: A Timelord, maybe River?
- Jared: Gallifreyan Time Lords
- How does Bill leave?
- Tripp: she dies, she sacrifices herself
- Corbin: she’s gonna get a life
The Game Plan
- Next week, we’re covering episode 7, Pyramid at the End of the World.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Thing One: Tripp Reason. Our Production Editor is the Other One: Corbin Reason. Special thanks to tardis.fandom.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at Facebook or Twitter or email us. Consider supporting us. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.