Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that deals with its daddy issues live on the air!: Noobs and the Whovian.
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin, Tripp, and we’re the noobs!
And I’m Jared!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Except when we don’t, because this week we won’t!
Welcome to episode 149, Timey Wimey #16 – Men in Black 3
This is the one where people who don’t exist stop the world from ending by going back in time to kill an animal. Twice.
Who’s responsible for this?!
- Writer: Lowell Cunningham (original creator of the comic) & Ethan Cohen
- Not to be confused with Ethan Coen of the Coen brothers
- Also did some Beavis & Butthead, King of the Hill, & American Dad; as well as Idiocracy, Get Hard, Holmes & Watson, Madagascar 2, and Tropic Thunder
- It kinda shows in this movie, it’s a little more that style of humor.
- Part 1 was written by Bill & Ted writer/creator Ed Solomon
- Part 2 was written by Robert Gordon who also did the movie adaptation of A Series of Unfortunate Events, and the best Star Trek movie ever made: Galaxy Quest.
- Director: Barry Sonnenfeld
- Both Addams Family movies
- Directed several episodes of the tv adaptation of A Series of Unfortunate Events, and was the producer on the show AND the movie. He really liked those books
- Music: Danny Elfman
- Mars Attacks!
- Tales from the Crypt
- Batman: The Animated Series
- Corpse Bride
- Army of Darkness
- Nightmare before Christmas
- Alice in Wonderland
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Mission Impossible
- Batman, Batman Returns
- Edward Scissorhands
Where do I know that guy from?
- Agent J – Will Smith
- Agent K – Tommy Lee Jones
- Agent O – Emma Thompson
- Professor Trelawney
- Young Agent K – Josh Brolin
- You might know him as Thanos or Cable
- Boris the Animal – Jemaine Clement
- One half of Flight of the Conchords
- Griffin – Michael Stuhlbarg
- Young Agent O – Alice Eve
- Carol Marcus in Star Trek: Into Darkness
Time travel details:
- Time JUMP
- If you remember K, that means you were THERE!
- Where there is death, there is always death.
- Can you change the future?
Did they follow their own rules?
Things they got Wrong
- Why was it that when he went back in time on the rocket tower that it didn’t work the same?
- If K knew
- Twice around causal loop
- Why was K in the men in black?
- Can we talk about J & K’s relationship? It felt like they were trying to maintain the grizzled old agent and the green-horned noobie vibe, but J has been an agent for like 14 years now!
- Why was K so emotionless?
Is that how that works?!
- Corbin would like you to check out this video about imagining the 10th Dimension
Random stuff we noticed
- Why was the cake jiggly?!?!?!?
- The neuralyzer kept changing.
- Red light in the first movie
- Blue light in the second movie
- Square in the third!
- No problem straight up exploding bad guys?
- J had a big pic of Frank the Pug in his bedroom
- Mommy the President is drinking my chocolate milk
- Why does chocolate milk help with temporal fracture headaches?
- The aliens in the 60’s look like aliens from the 60’s
- A miracle is what seems impossible but happens anyway.
- One in a million things happen every day!
Was it good?
Was it a good story?
- Jared – Yes with some reservations
- Tripp – YES!
- Corbin – Yes
- Austin – YES
Was it a good time travel story?
- Jared – Yes
- Tripp – yes
- Corbin – yes
- Austin – Yes?
The Game Plan
- Next week, we’re covering Series 10 Episode 5, Oxygen.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at Facebook or Twitter or email us. Consider supporting us at Patreon. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.