This episode we discuss the first ever episode we watched. 3 years ago.
Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet who’s microwave can’t keep time… Noobs and the Whovian!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 138 covering season 9 episode 11: Heaven Sent.
This is the one where the Doctor does Groundhog Day!
The Doctor beams into a place he doesn’t recognize. He quickly finds that he’s all alone, except for a mysterious, slowly moving figure that seems to pursue him throughout the castle. He’s not sure where he is, or even when he is, who brought him here, or what they want with him. He does know that he will find his way out, but something strange is happening.
The stars are all wrong, like he’s thousands of years in the future. There’s clues that he’s not the first prisoner to stay here. There is a dry set of clothes waiting for him when he gets out of the water. There is a note scrawled on the ground. It’s like someone wants him to find something.
Turns out, he’s been here a long long time, replaying a loop over and over again, slowly chipping away at a diamond mountain. He finally breaks through after several billion years. He escapes and finds himself somewhere familiar, having come the long way round.
- Story # 261
- Originally aired November 28, 2015 to 6.19 million viewers
- Written by: Steven Moffat
- Directed by: Rachel Talalay
- This is the first time in New Who that only one name appeared in the opening credits.
- “the Doctor will see you now”. Eleven said this in his first episode, remember?
- At 4.5 billion years, this is the single longest adventure the Doctor has ever been on.
- The first time the Doctor sees a skull he says it must’ve belonged to one of his predecessors, meaning another prisoner. He was more right than he knew.
- In addition, he was even more right. This skull was based on his actual head!
Creature of the week
- The Veil – a clock-work creature from the Doctor’s own nightmares. It’s based on an old woman who died when he was a child. She was covered in veils and attracted flies because it was hot.
- Who is The Doctor?
- He was telepathic when he was young
- Finally run out of corridor, there’s a life summed up.
- Rule one of dying: don’t! Rule two: slow down.
- He’s not scared of hell. It’s just heaven for bad people.
- He’s on a darts team with the Brothers Grimm
- His confessions
- He just realized he’s actually scared of dying.
- He didn’t leave Gallifrey because he was bored. He left because he was scared.
- He believes in the Hybrid, and knows it’s real.
Other stuff we noticed
- Where did the dry suit come from?
- Found an answer from Moffat himself! https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/109185/why-are-there-dry-clothes-in-the-heaven-sent-castle-why-is-claras-painting-old
- We start with him after 7,000 years of loops
- How is it that he remembers every loop?
- The TARDIS is in Room 12 – 12th Doctor…
- The story of the little shepherd boy is actually written on the wall in the castle.
- Some of the clues were left by previous versions of the Doctor himself, including “I am in 12” as well as the painting of Clara. (This was confirmed in Doctor Who Magazine by Moffat.)
Can we talk about the storeroom of the mind?
- This might be Twelve’s coolest addition to the Whoniverse mythos.
- This is also something that Moffat and Mark Gatiss used in Sherlock.
- For over 50 years, we’ve wondered how he always manages to survive and get out of any situation he finds himself in. Now we know.
- So does he do this every time?
- Is his current/last companion always there?
Classic Who Connection
- Jared talks about some interesting call-backs to Classic Who.
Overall rating out of 10
- Austin – 9 naked Doctors
- Corbin – 8.5 paintings of Clara
- Tripp – 9 sad doctors
- Jared – 9.5 Doctors Jumping out the window
Creep Level – out of 500
- Austin – 325
- Corbin – 275
- Tripp – 297
- Jared – 250
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, Jared for the Classic Who Connection.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
The Game Plan
- Hey guys, sorry but we were having some kind of technical difficulties this week. We’ll be covering a Classic Who episode next week from Series 5 episodes 1-4: The Tomb of the Cybermen.
- Get your Britbox subscription turned back on for this one!