Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet with a cool pet raven: It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 137, covering series 9 episode 10: Face the Raven
- Story #260
- Originally November 21, 2015 aired to 6.06 million viewers
- Written by: Sarah Dollard
- Directed by: Justin Molotnikov
- There is a poster on the trap street that shows a flux capacitor. The caption reads “DeLorean” in the Star Wars standard alphabet, Aurebesh.
- This is the first episode with a post-credits scene. If you missed it, go back. Sad whovians…
- Anahson – Letitia Wright
- I recognized her right away from an episode of Black Mirror called The Black Museum and dang.
- She was apparently also maybe in Ready Player One? She’s such a small part, that even she doesn’t know if she’s actually in the film!
- Ok, most importantly, and the thing everyone is screaming into their iPods right now is… she’s a Disney princess!
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- The peace of this street depends on one thing: to break a rule is to face the raven.
- Creature of the week
- The light they give off sets up a field that normalizes everything you see and places it within the compass of your experience.
- Quantum Shade
- Some kind of alien tech/creature that can hunt you down across time and space to kill you if you have the wrong tattoo
- Jiggery Pokery
- Whenever the phone in/on the TARDIS rings, it’s never good
- Misdirection circuit
- How is this different than the perception filter?
- You’re not forgetful or easily distracted, it’s aliens!
- Misdirection circuit
Other stuff we noticed
- Retconned – amnesia drug
- Humans can survive having whole limbs removed
- Weird thing to say…
- Who is Rigsy?
- Local knowledge
- Don’t call me Rigsy! Call me pudding brain, or anything, but don’t start calling me Rigsy!
- Who is Ashildr/Me?
- She’s Mayor of an alien refuge in London
- It’s cute, he thinks I don’t know. He has a secret room in the TARDIS where he collects mentions of you.
- She’s in possession of a quantum shade.
- She gave herself the title “Mayor” for the same reason he gave himself the title “Doctor”, something to live up to.
- Who is Clara?
- Doctor 101 – tricking the enemy into their own trap
- Doctor 102 – never tell anyone your real plan
- Sometimes Jane Austen and I prank each other
- You’re going to be alone now and you’re very bad at that. Don’t let this change you. Don’t be a warrior, be a Doctor. Heal yourself.
- Don’t insult my memory, there will be no revenge and no one else here will suffer.
- Who is the Doctor?
- Did you make this human?
- The cards!
- I could be wrong, lets try it your way
- Could I not be the good cop? Doctor, we’ve discussed this – your face.
- When I look at you, I can’t tell your past from your future. And there’s so very much of both!
- The Doctor is no longer here, you have to deal with me!
- You DO care, you always have. Your reign of terror will end with the sight of the first crying child and you know it.
- The wikia pointed out this happening in The Beast Below, Amy’s first adventure. “Oh, so we don’t interfere unless there’s a child crying?!”
- You’ll find that it’s a very small universe when I’m angry with you.
Can we talk about how boring this episode was?
Can we talk about Clara’s death?
- First, she is the first long-term companion to actually die onscreen since Adric.
- I know there’s a lot of qualifiers there, but this is kind of a big deal.
- Second, wow.
- Jared mentioned this – she became as much like the Doctor as any human could be, PLUS Jenna Coleman’s performance at the end was AMAZING!
- Does this make sense as the end of her story?
- Does it work for yall?
- Lastly, do you think she’s gone?
- It’s maybe spoilery, but I can say that what you just saw is real and final. That’s why there were all those qualifiers before: long-term companion to actually die (wikia said “permanently die”) onscreen.
- Corbin thinks she can come back at any time
Classic Who Connections
- The Classic Who aliens we see on the street when the perceptions filter is off are a Sontaran, Ice Warrior, and an Ood repairing a Cyberman
- The TARDIS was painted pink in the Serial The Happiness Patrol
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared – 9 – Ravens that don’t say “Nevermore”
- Austin – 8 dangling Clara’s
- Corbin – 7.5 crazy tattoos
- Tripp – 8.5 raging doctors
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 100
- Austin – 25
- Corbin – 1
- Tripp – 10
The Game Plan
- Next week we’re continuing with episode 11, Heaven Sent
- After that it’s Hell Bent.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connections. Shout outs to Victor, Jared, and James for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian or twitter.com/noobswhovian and email us at email@example.com. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.