Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts |
This is the one where the Doctor and Clara fight sentient eye crusties created by space sleep pods. And for some reason, no one tries shooting the eye boogers.
Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet with sentient carnivorous eye boogers: It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 136, covering series 9 episode 9: Sleep No More
- Story #259
- Originally aired November 14, 2015 to 5.61 million viewers
- Written by: Mark Gatiss
- This is his first Who story set in the future
- Directed by: Justin Molotnikov
- 474 – Bethany Black
- First openly transgender in Doctor Who
- In her role in Russell T. Davies’ show Banana, she was the first trans actor to play a lead character who was trans
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Creature of the week
- The Sandmen
- They are literally made of your eye boogers, I mean… sleep dust.
- Sentient eye goomlies
- Adventures in closed captioning!
Other stuff we noticed
- I love the found-footage approach they took here
- The shift from helmet cam to Clara-cam was subtle and awesome
- Tripp pointed out that it’s color when it’s a person’s perspective, but black and white when it’s a CCTV viewpoint
- Have you brought me to a space-restaurant
- The Doctor says people don’t put “space” in front of something just because it’s all high tech and futurey. It’s not space-champagne, and space-hats.”
- What does Tuesday taste like?!
- He was able to tell it was the 38th Century based on wind, and a Tuesday based on taste
- It’s also after the Great Catastrophe
- It’s like this is all for effect. Like a story.
- Corbin: Has he become self-aware?!
- Who is Clara?
- Morpheus, named after the god of dreams? Oh yeeeaaaah, not just this *gestures to face*.
- Who is the Doctor?
- Hold my hand. I’m ok. I’m not.
- He sleeps when she’s not looking.
- This is actually a fourth-wall gag because he’s looking at Clara when he says “when you’re not looking” but because of the camera perspective, he’s also saying it to us at the same time
- Do I look like I’m kidding? Is this a kidding face?
- You have no authority. No, but I’m in charge.
- Humans, greedy, filthy, stupid humans
- You don’t get to name things. I’m the Doctor, I name things.
Can we talk about the ending?
- My exact reaction when the credits came up: Umm…. what?
- The implications
- The doctor was right about them being evolved eye boogers
- The human race is doomed
- This transmission can broadcast the same signals that the sleep pod can
Classic Who Connections
- In the serial The Horror of Fang Rock the Fourth Doctor came up against anti-gravity shielding. He amplified a carbon oscillator which locked onto the carbon resonator of the Rutan Mothership (via the crystalized carbon) and knocked out the anti-gravity
- There was a suggestion that they space station could be attacked by space pirates. The Second Doctor encountered space pirates in the serial The Space Pirates
- In Frontios the Fifth Doctor started talking about the Great Catastrophe, but he never finished explaining it, now we have the full explanation.
- The Doctor once again talks about the naming of the Silurians. If I understand this controversy correctly, this is a continuation of the fact that they should be called Earthlings because they inhabited Earth first. They are also called Homo Reptilia, which does not follow the proper scientific procedure of naming animals. Or it could be something else that I’m missing.
- Overall rating out of 10
- Jared – 6 Sleepless nights trying to figure it out,
- 8 Sleepless nights watching it again
- Austin – 4 sandy eye sockets
- Corbin – 4.5 cctvs inside a freezer
- Tripp – 5.5 upside down scream masks
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 75
- Austin – 275
- Corbin – 100
- Tripp – 200
The Game Plan
- Next week we’re continuing with episode 10, Face The Raven
- After that, it’s Heaven Sent. and remember that we are splitting up Heaven Sent and Hell Bent.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connections.
Shout outs to Victor, Jared, and James for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian or twitter.com/noobswhovian and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.