Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Google Podcasts |
This is the one where Doctor Disco and Clara stop a war between the Zygons and Humans for like the 15th time.
Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that are secretly blobby aliens: It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 135, covering series 9 episodes 7 & 8: The Zygon Invasion and The Zygon Inversion.
- Story #258
- Originally aired October 31 & November 7, 2015 to 5.76 & 6.03 million viewers
- Written by: Peter Harness & Steven Mofatt
- Directed by: Daniel Nettheim
- Osgood – Ingrid Oliver
- Played in the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels reboot, The Hustle with Rebel Wilson and Anne Hathaway
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Creature of the week
- Osgoods – they were both human and Zygon simultaneously
- Jiggery Pokery
- Totally And Radically Driving In Space
- Sonic specs? Isn’t that a bit pointless, like a visual hearing aid?
- What’s wrong with pointless? I once invented an invisible watch. Spot the design flaw.
- Setting 137
- Psychic paper
- Jibberty Jabberty
- It’s a control computer. You operate it by titivating the frons
Other stuff we noticed
- The UNIT safe house had a painting of One on the stairwell
- He left us with an impossible situation. Yes I know, it’s called “peace.”
- The Black Archive had a Mire helmet
- Thinking is just a fancy word for changing your mind. I’m not changing my mind. Then you will die stupid!
- You can tell this was small when erasing the memories of like 3 people makes it as if it never happened
- The buttons said truth or consequences
- Who is Clara?
- She’s either on the tube or in outer space!
- She’s Bonnie!
- If she’s got the ponytail, she’s Bonnie
- That’s the mind of Clara Oswald, she might never get out.
- She’s a baller. She’s casually sitting on the couch reading a paper that ONLY HAS GIBBERISH ON IT… and Bonnie CAN’T SEE HER!
- Who is the Doctor?
- Doctor Disco? Doctor Funkenstein? Dr. John Disco? Dr. Puntastic?
- He’s got question mark underpants
- My name is… well… you can call me the Doctor.
- He speaks nonsense to distract companions from the danger
- His smile is dazzling
- He’s spend a lot of time in London getting kidnapped, shot at, and exterminated, doesn’t mean I like it.
- Why does peacekeeping always involve killing
- Clara being dead for five minutes was the longest month of his life.
- He’ll be the judge of time
Can we talk about the interrogation
- Why did Bonnie have to interrogate Clara?
Can we talk about Osgood?
- Who is Osgood?
- She is amazing!
- The question marks are an interesting touch. She already had the scarf.
- You want to know what I am. I am the peace. Human and Zygon.
- The age-old debate: Is she a companion?
- Her first name is Petronella
- The Doctor’s first name is definitely NOT Basil
- She needs to guard a couple of boxes, and a world to keep safe
- So, which Osgood was killed by Missy?
- I’m going to argue that it was the Zygon Osgood for two main reasons
- The Doctor said he knew she was the human Osgood because if the human Osgood had died the Zygon Osgood wouldn’t have been able to hold the form.
- When he said this, she reacted like she’d been caught.
- She then came up with “Oh, that was the old way. Now Zygons can keep their form if they don’t need information anymore.”
- This served to add a new plot point in this story, but I think her flinch gave her away.
- The ending – it wouldn’t make as much sense if there were now TWO Zygon Osgoods. I mean, it’s still pretty effective, but I believe that Bonnie was restoring the cease-fire completely here.
- Apparently Ingrid Oliver has her own head-canon about which Osgood survived, but she won’t tell!
Classic Who Connections
- There is a brief reference to the previous Zygon invasion which we talked about the last time we saw the Zygons by Kate. That was the Serial Terror of the Zygons with the Fourth Doctor.
- Kate also mentions that the attack took place in the 1970s or 80s so again we have a reference to the UNIT dating controversy that goes back to the Third Doctor’s and Forth Doctor’s time with UNIT.
- Kate names Harry Sullivan as the “naval surgeon” that created the Z67 anti-Zygon nerve gas. He was a companion of the Fourth Doctor and also says that it was developed in Porton Down which is where Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart said that Harry was in the serial Mawdryn Undead
- The white and read shirts with question marks on the collar points that the Osgoods wore were part of the Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Doctor’s outfits.
- We only saw the Zygons once in Classic Who (they were only mentioned two or three times after that in later episodes). I think this is the first Classic Who monster/baddie to be brought back for New Who that wasn’t a serial character.
- There is a portrait of the First Doctor in the UNIT safe house
- Kate Stewart describes her gunfire when escaping the Zygons as “five rounds rapid” which is the exact phrase her father (Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart) used in the serial The Daemons
- In Revenge of the Cybermen the Fourth Doctor called Harry Sullivan an imbecile after he started a rockslide and removed a Cyberman tomb triggering a known trap.
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared – 7 question marked collars
- Austin – 9.5 Osgoods
- Corbin – 8.5 really bad skin conditions
- Tripp – 9 hybrids
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 50
- Austin – 75
- Corbin – 10
- Tripp – 20
The Game Plan
- Next week we’re continuing with episode 9, Sleep No More.
- After that it’s Face the Raven. Nothing special there, but the following week we’re going to go off the rails! We’re splitting up Heaven Sent and Hell Bent.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connections. Shout outs to Victor, Jared, and James for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian or twitter.com/noobswhovian and email us at email@example.com. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.