Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that has an invisibility watch: It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 121 covering the Series 8 episode 6: The Caretaker
This is the one where the Doctor becomes a janitor, and Mr. Pink finds out who Clara really is while saving the world after dooming it first.
- Story # 247
- Originally aired September 27 2014 to 6.82 million
- Written by: Gareth Roberts and Steven Moffat
- Directed by: Paul Murphy
- Skovox Blitzer – Jimmy Vee!
- Moxx of Balhoun, the Graske, and Bannakaffalatta (never forget!)
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- The Doctor ALMOST said it: I’m the new caretaker
- It was said throughout the episode though
- Can I just say I like “caretaker” much better than janitor and we should make a switch to this in America. </rant>
- Creature of the week
- Skovox Blitzer
- Stuff the Doctor loves
- Jiggery Pokery
- It has a setting (#41) that can blast out helicon energy
- Apparently Clara can snap the doors closed now?
Other stuff we noticed
- I don’t think Adrian looked even remotely like Matt Smith
- Who is Danny Pink?
- He’s NOT a PE teacher
- He’s also not a new teacher anymore. This episode apparently takes place at least a year after Into the Dalek because in that episode he was introduced as a brand new teacher. In this one, Courtney Woods parents refer to how he referred to her last year.
- I imagine that the opening montage of vignettes is taking us through that year.
- NERD ALERT! When he put on the invisibility watch, he was non-plussed that it wasn’t even a ring
- How stupid do you think I am? I’m willing to put a number on it.
- He did just save the whole world. Good start.
- Who is Clara?
- Her adventures with the Doctor are starting to interfere with her real life
- Apparently she just like, KNOWS how to use the sonic now?
- What were the others like, the ones before me? Did they let you get away with this
- Who is the Doctor?
- He lived among otters once
- Never lose your temper in the middle of a door sign
- Humans have an incredibly short lifespan. Frankly, you should all be a permanent state of panic. Tick tock, tick tock
- He’s your DAD! He’s your space dad.
- Danny made a crack about his eyebrows!
- Upon entering the junkyard, The Doctor says “Home, Sweet Home.” His first incarnation parked the TARDIS in a junkyard near Coal Hill while Susan attended the school. (TV: An Unearthly Child)
- I don’t remember this, did yall catch it?
- Shut him up, shut him down. Up or down, I don’t care.
- Danny knows men like him, he’s served under men like him. They push you and make you better than you ever thought you could be.
Classic Who Connection
- The Second Doctor did meet fish people in The Underwater Menace
- Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart also became a maths teacher after he retired from the military
- The Seventh Doctor was asked if he was applying for the position of caretaker at Coal Hill School when he was there to investigate Dalek activity in Remembrance of the Daleks
- When he entered the junkyard the Doctor said, “Home sweet home” which is of course were the First Doctor was living in An Unearthly Child
- Artron energy is ambient radiation from the time vortex that the Seventh Doctor described as a mental energy. Many times the Doctor has mentioned that there is a lot of artron energy around Coal Hill School. The first time was in An Unearthly Child
- In The Power of the Daleks the Second Doctor said to shut the Daleks “Up or down. I don’t care” much like he said about Danny in this episode
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared – 7 Evil Rosey the Robots
- Austin – 6.5 Jimmy Vee’s
- Corbin – 8 floating chairs
- Tripp – 7 spider legged humans
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 100
- Austin – 75
- Corbin – 50
- Tripp – 70
- Thoughts on Missy and Heaven?
- New name! Afterlife, Promised Land. I prefer “Nethersphere.”
- Corbin & Tripp – The Half-faced man didn’t actually die but was put into a new body of some kind. That’s not Heaven, though it could be the Promised Land.
- Tripp – Missy is NOT a robot, perhaps a creator.
- Corbin – Missy is the bad guy. Missy is the lady in the shop. It’s not Heaven, it’s hell. Robots.
The Game Plan
- Next week we continue with Series 8, Episode 7: Kill the Moon
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor, Jared, and James for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian or twitter.com/noobswhovian and email us at [email protected]. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.