Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that is always there hiding in the back corner just out of sight: It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 118 covering the Series 8 episode 4: Listen
This is the one where the Doctor and Clara hunt for a creature hiding in the corner of your eye except that it doesn’t actually exist.
- Story # 245
- Originally aired September 13 2014 to 7.01 million viewers
- Written by: Steven Moffat
- Directed by: Douglas Mackinnon
- First episode to feature a childhood version of the Doctor
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Over and over again
- Creature of the week
- It’s debatable…
- Jiggery Pokery
- Meditation on top of the TARDIS
- Underwater mode!
- It didn’t let her go
- Who is Danny Pink?
- Clara inspired his entire life
- Dan the soldier man
- Who is Clara?
- Is that what I look like from behind? It’s fine. I thought it was good.
- She’s doing the all eyes thing again. It’s cuz her face is too wide. She needs three mirrors.
- It’s not a plan, it’s a thing.
- Did she fly the TARDIS?!
- So… she made the Doctor?
- Who is the Doctor?
- He shouldn’t travel alone, but perhaps he never has
- Clara called him a big gray stick insect
- Are you making conversation? I thought I’d give it a try.
Classic Who Connection
- In The Talons of Weng-Chiang the Fourth Doctor encountered the first human to have experimented with time travel.
- The line “fear makes companions of us all” was originally said to Barbara by the First Doctor in the 3rd episode of the first serial An Unearthly Child
- The Third Doctor also said “not a lick or a tick” in the serial Death to the Daleks
- The idea of seeing yourself to be “potentially catastrophic” while crossing your own time stream was first said by the Third Doctor in Day of the Daleks and then again by the Fifth Doctor in Mawdryn Undead
- The Doctor talked about “Sontarans perverting the course of human history” upon waking up.
- This was his first words as the Fourth Doctor in Robot, but it also references the first Sontaran serial The Time Warrior.
- The young Doctor’s hair was styled after a photo of William Hartnell as a child.
Can we talk about whether the thing exists?
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared – 7.5 creatures under the bed
- Austin – 9 corners of your eye
- Corbin – 7.5 claras under the bed
- Tripp – 10 fake sheet monsters
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 75
- Austin – 400
- Corbin – 100
- Tripp – 500
- Thoughts on Missy and Heaven?
- Corbin & Tripp – The Half-faced man didn’t actually die but was put into a new body of some kind. That’s not Heaven, though it could be the Promised Land.
- Tripp – Missy is NOT a robot, perhaps a creator.
- Corbin – Missy is the bad guy. Lt. Redshirt was a robot!
The Game Plan
- Bill & Ted Face the Music is officially out! Go see it so you can enjoy our coverage of it in episode 120.
- Next week we continue with Series 8, Episode 5: Time Heist.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor, Jared, and James for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian or twitter.com/noobswhovian and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.