Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that has been nanoscaled before recording: It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 116 covering the Series 8 episode 2: Into the Dalek.
This is the one where the Doctor takes three weeks to get Clara a cup of coffee. Oh, and they like, turn a Dalek into a good guy? Kinda?
- Story # 243
- Originally aired August 30 2014 to 7.29 million viewers
- Written by: Phil Ford, Steven Moffat
- Directed by: Ben Wheatley
- New intro – it was originally created by a fan on YouTube. Billy Hanshaw was a fan who was also a professional graphic designer. He created this opening title sequence to show clients what he could do. Moffat spotted it and called him up to ask him to do an official one. He through it was a prank!
- Starting with this series, we’re actually going down to 12 regular episodes with 1 Christmas special.
- Series 8, then Christmas 2014
- Series 9, then Christmas 2015
- Christmas 2016, then Series 10, then Christmas 2017
- Danny Pink – Samuel Anderson
- He’s done plenty of stuff that I’ve never heard of
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Creatures of the week
- Rusty the good Dalek
- He doesn’t know the Doctor
- Evil refined as engineering
- Rusty the good Dalek
- Stuff the Doctor loves
- Jiggery Pokery
- It can seal up metal
- It’s smaller on the outside. it’s a bit more exciting the other way around.
- Psychic paper
- Needless sacrificial death
- Clara deaths
- Running count – 3
- The Question/Doctor Who?
- The Last Great Time War
- Jammie Dodger sighting
- Running count – 4
Other stuff we noticed
- Don’t be a lasagna!
- Ever microwaved a lasagna without pricking the film cover.
- Corbin noted the Doctor holding coffee when he rescued Journey Blue. This was because he had just left Clara to get coffee at the end of Deep Breath.
- Who is Danny?
- Well he’s complicated isn’t he?
- He’s shy around Clara
- He’s got something in his past that haunts him
- Who is Clara?
- She’s not my assistant, she’s some other word. I’m his carer. Yeah, she cares so I don’t have to.
- Her hips are fine, she’s built like a man.
- Apparently she has a particular face when she’s about to slap the Doctor.
- Do I really not pay you? You couldn’t afford me.
- Who is the Doctor?
- He gets distracted easily
- He asks Clara for an honest, cold, calculated response. Am I a good man?
- He regenerated with fillings in his teeth! When sliding into the organic dump, you could see the fillings in his teeth.
- Go do a clever thing, when you do I’ll show it something that will change it forever. I have no idea what.
- When I started, I was just running. I called myself the Doctor, but it was just a name. Then I went to Skaro and I realized who I was. The Doctor is not the Daleks.
- He is a good Dalek.
- Didn’t the one in Dalek tell him that?
- When will I see you again? Soon, or later. One of those.
Classic Who Connection
- The Doctor claimed that morgues were easy to escape from, because he did break out of a morgue as the Eighth Doctor in the TV movie Doctor Who
- There was a brief mention by Colonel Morgan Blue about The Doctor and Clara possibly being duplicates. In Resurrection of the Daleks Davros attempted to duplicate the Fifth Doctor to attack the Gallifrey High Council, but he escaped first. Other duplicates or replicants were used to attack Earth.
- It was first revealed in Revelation of the Daleks that Davros would convert bodies into a protein food for Daleks
- The Second Doctor made “good Daleks” in the serial The Evil of the Daleks by introducing the “Human Factor”. Unfortunately, they were all killed by unaltered Daleks.
- The Doctor references his first trip to Skaro in The Daleks
- In Mawdryn Undead shows that Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart retired from UNIT to teach mathematics in a public school. Much like Danny Pink.
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared – 6.5 honey, I shrunk the Doctors
- Austin – 6 late cups of coffee
- Corbin – 6 antibodies
- Tripp – 6.5 goo eyed daleks
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 50
- Austin – 125
- Corbin – 20
- Tripp – 40
- Thoughts on Missy and Heaven?
- For the record, a fan pulled a Tripp. There was a special called After Who Live that aired the same day and someone tweeted in with the exact guess.
- Corbin & Tripp – The Half-faced man didn’t actually die but was put into a new body of some kind. That’s not Heaven, though it could be the Promised Land.
- Tripp – Missy is NOT a robot.
- Corbin – Missy is the bad guy.
- Heaven is some kind of simulation where they upload your consciousness, remotely at death.
The Game Plan
- As of right now, Bill & Ted 3 is back to premiering on August 28th, so keep your fingers crossed!
- Next week we continue with Series 8, Episode 3: Robot of Sherwood.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor, Jared, and James for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian or twitter.com/noobswhovian and email us at email@example.com. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.