Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet talking about the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who seven years late: it’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 110 covering the 50th Anniversary dramatization, An Adventure in Space and Time.
This is the one where Doctor Who becomes a show! It takes a lot of time and struggles but eventually they get the cast together and start the adventure in space and time. Also, they recreated Ten’s death scene.
- Originally aired November 21, 2013 to 2.71 million views
- Written by: Mark Gatiss
- Directed by: Terry McDonough
- There’s a bit of poetic license with the Dalek catchphrase. We see kids the day after the second serial aired saying “exterminate!” but they never said it in that first serial. That came later.
- The final scene with Matt Smith flipping switches was a call-back to that actual regeneration scene where the switches flipped themselves inexplicably.
- William Hartnell – David Bradley
- Played in the episode Dinosaurs on a spaceship
- Argus Filch in Harry Potter
- Peter Hawkins – Nicholas Briggs, the voice of the Daleks in NuWho
- Verity Lambert – Jessica Raine
- Played Emma Grayling in Hide
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Doctor Who?
- William Hartnell said it himself at dinner with Verity and Waris.
- Jiggery Pokery
- The landing noise was a key rubbing piano strings
- Psychic paper
- Jibberty Jabberty
- Hartnell was complaining about the “words” from the get-go
Other stuff we noticed
- At the very beginning, the police officer told Hartnell “You need to move along now, sir. You’re in the way.”
- No tin robots or bug-eyed monsters
- The Daleks were both
- Who is The Doctor?
- He’s something like 600 years old
- Tough, and wiry like an old turkey. It’s what you do so well, Mr. Hartnell: stern and scary, but with a twinkle.
- CS Lewis meets HG Wells meets Father Christmas – that’s the Doctor.
- Hartnell’s granddaughter said, “The Doctor? Does he make people better?’
- I don’t want to go
Classic Who Connection
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Austin – 👍
- Corbin – 👍
- Tripp – 👍
The Game Plan
- Next week we’re covering season 702’s finale, The Name of the Doctor.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian and email us at [email protected]. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.