Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that doesn’t need to be taken over by a Cyberplanner to argue with itself. It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 108 covering the Series 7 episode 12: Nightmare in Silver
This is the one where the Doctor and Clara take two innocent children to a creepy, abandoned theme park so they can be taken over by Cybermen.
- Story # 238
- Originally aired May 11 2013 to 6.64 million viewers
- Written by: Neil Gaiman
- Directed by: Stephen Woolfenden
- Neil Gaiman confirmed, outside of this episode itself, that this episode was 250,000 years in the future
- We’ve mentioned this before – this is not the first time an actor has portrayed both the Doctor and another character in the same episode. In fact, this not only marks the eleventh time, but pulls Matt Smith into the lead with three occurrences.
- Of these eleven occurrences, it’s also the fourth time that the actor played the main villain as well as the Doctor.
- This is Matt Smith/Eleven’s third series, all three of which have featured the Cybermen in the penultimate (or second-to-last) episode.
- Porridge – Warwick Davis
- So many things!
- Nikabrik in Chronicles of Narnia
- Professor Flitwick in Harry Potter
- Griphook in Harry Potter
- Wicket the Ewok in Return of the Jedi
- Weazel in Solo
- Rukh in Rebels
- Wodibin in The Last Jedi
- Weeteef Cyubee in Rogue One
- Wollivan in Force Awakens
- Wald / Pod race spectator / Mos Espa Citizen in The Phantom Menace
- Wicket W. Warrick in Rise of Skywalker
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Creature of the week
- Cyberplanner/Mr. Clever
- I have to win a chess game and you have to die pointlessly far from home.
- Running count – 13
- But we got an allons-y!
- Clara deaths
- Running count – 3
Other stuff we noticed
- In order to defeat the Cybermen, humanity had to wipe out the entire Tiberian Spiral Galaxy. Instead of mourning a billion trillion people, Porridge feels bad for the bloke that had to push the button.
- The army had an ice picnic where the polar bears came a did a dance for them
- See you next Wednesday. Yes, well a Wednesday, last Wednesday. One of the Wednesdays.
- Who is Clara Oswald?
- I trust the Doctor. You think he knows what he’s doing? I wouldn’t go that far.
- Do you think I’m pretty? No, you’re too short, bossy, and your nose is all funny.
- The impossible girl – a mystery wrapped in an enigma squeezed into a skirt that just a bit too tight.
- Who is The Doctor?
- He’s officially starting a funny insect collection
- He calls the Cybermite beautiful, as usual
- I’m going to get Angie, find Artie, and collect funny insects. Stay alive, and don’t blow up the planet!
- The Cyberplanner/Mr. Clever remarks on the Doctors binary vascular system, hyper-conductive nervous system and remarkable brain processing power
- He could regenerate and burn out all the cyberwidgets, but if I use up this me, who knows what comes next?
Classic Who Connection
- A Classic Who serial with a very similar name also involved fighting the Cybermen. That was The Silver Nemesis
- Webley talks about 699 Wonders of the Universe. In the serial Death to the Daleks the Third Doctor stated that there were 700 wonders, but then the 700th was destroyed, the Great City of the Exxilons
- The Doctor played chess in the Classic Who serials The Sun Makers, The Androids of Tara, and The Curse of Fenric.
- In Classic Who, the way to defeat the Cybermen almost always involved some use of gold
- In The Silver Nemesis the Cyber-Leader didn’t Time Lord secrets to be of any value
- Of the wax figures in Webley’s room there was one from Classic Who. A Chameleon from the Second Doctor serial The Faceless Ones
- The serial The Greatest Show in the Galaxy was also about visiting an amusement park run by aliens
- Cybermites vs cybermats
- The Seventh Doctor also defeated a foe by distracting him in a game of chess and draining his power in The Curse of Fenric
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared – 7 chess playing animatronic Cybermen
- Austin – 6.5 awesome Cybermen appliances on the Doctor face
- Corbin – 6 cybermites
- Tripp – 9 cyber chess players
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 50
- Austin – 125
- Corbin – 50
- Tripp – 50
- Tripp thinks all the Claras are the result of the TARDIS exploding in Journey. The time leaking out created echoes of Clara that have taken on a life of their own and don’t remember each other or the Doctor or anything.
- Corbin says Clara will somehow travel back in time in the future. She is immortal like Captain Jack but forgets everything each time she dies.
- We haven’t gotten a new review since August. Just sayin…
The Game Plan
- Next week, we’re doing our next Classic Who Rewind covering Season 22 episodes 7-9 with the serial The Two Doctors.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor, Jared, and James for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian or twitter.com/noobswhovian and email us at email@example.com. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.