Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet surrounded by triple-blast brain-splitters and ACID! It’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 107 covering the Series 7 episode 11: The Crimson Horror.
This is the one where the Doctor and Clara meet up with their old pals, Vastra, Jenny, and Strax to defeat a repulsive creature of untold horror, and the cute little red leech that rides on her chest.
- Story # 237
- Originally aired May 4 2013 7.37 million
- Written by: Mark Gatiss
- Directed by: Saul Metzstein
- This is the 100th episode of NuWho!
- The repulsive red leech that Vastra mentioned is a nod to The Repulsive Case of the Red Leech which was a Sherlock Holmes case that was never written by Doyle. It’s referenced by Watson in another store, The Adventure of the Golden Pince-Nez.
- Mrs. Gillyflower – Dame Diana Rigg
- Olenna Tyrell from Game of Thrones
- Support the show and step up your email game at the same time! G Suite is Google’s business-class email and office suite. Get a professional email using your very own domain, along with 30GB of Google Drive storage for just $6/month!
- Don’t have a domain yet? Go to R5 Website Management and get your very own domain for just $13.99/year!
- Need help getting it all setup? Email me and we’ll even help you get everything you need to get going.
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Uh, yeah, like every other scene
- Creature of the week
- Mr. Sweet – a repulsive red leech
- The wikia pointed out that in this episode, the only extraterrestrials were the Doctor and Strax!
- The rocket
- Bowler hat!
- Running count – 13
- Jiggery Pokery
- The sonic reversed the venom?
- Strax’s armory
- Scissor grenades, limbo vapor, and triple blast brain-splitters
- We could lay magnetic cluster mines and dig trenches and fill them with acid!
- Jammie Dodger sighting
- Running count – 4
- Adventures in closed captioning
- Triple-blast brain spitters
- MRS. GILLYFLOWER THUDDING
Other stuff we noticed
- Getting directions from young Thomas Thomas was a (somewhat dated) reference to TomTom satnav systems.
- Gillyflower offers the Doctor a seed cake, or some amontillado, to which he replies, “No thanks, we’ve had enough of that.” He was chained up in a hidden room, much like the victim in The Cask of Amontillado.
- Corbin had a theory early on that Mr. Sweet was going to turn out to be The Great Intelligence.
- Who is The Doctor?
- To find the Doctor, Jenny only need ignore every “Keep Out” sign, go through every locked door and run towards any form of danger that presents itself
- I’m the Doctor, you’re nuts, and I’m here to stop you
- Who is Vastra?
- Her front door is TARDIS blue!
- Does her vale have a perception filter on it or something?!
- Who is Jenny?
- She’s freakin awesome! Kickin several butts
- Who is Strax?
- If this fleshy boy is to represent us…
- He was going to execute the horse!
- He’s been eating those jelly sherbet fancies again and he’s over-excited
- Who is Clara Oswald?
- Hang on! I’ve got a sonic screwdriver! Yeah, and I’ve got a chair.
- You’re the boss. Am I?! No, no!
- She asks the Doctor why he was interested in Victorian London, then at the end sees a picture of herself in Victorian London and says “That’s not right, I was in Victorian Yorkshire!”
Classic Who Connection
- Upon arriving in Yorkshire the Doctor tells Clara about attempting to get a “gobby Australian” to Heathrow Airport. That would be the Fifth Doctor trying to return Tegan to Heathrow where she was to begin work as a flight attendant.
- The Doctor then went on to say “Brave Heart Clara” which was a catchphrase the Fifth Doctor used with Tegan
- The Fourth Doctor also talked about how the Romani people believed that the last image a dead person saw would imprinted on their retina in the serial The Ark in Space
- The alias John Smith was again used by the Doctor
- In the serial Attack of the Cybermen the TARDIS turned into an organ that the Sixth Doctor played
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared – 6.5 – Attacking Straxes
- Austin – 8 trenches filled with ACID!!!!!!!!!!
- Corbin – 8 stormtrooper aim
- Tripp – 8.5 grandmas thuddings
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 100 creep levels (for the red leech and red monster doctor)
- Austin – 200
- Corbin – 50
- Tripp – 115
- Tripp thinks all the Claras are the result of the TARDIS exploding in Journey. The time leaking out created echoes of Clara that have taken on a life of their own and don’t remember each other or the Doctor or anything.
- Corbin says Clara will somehow travel back in time in the future. She is immortal like Captain Jack but forgets everything each time she dies.
- We haven’t gotten a new review since August. Just sayin…
The Game Plan
- Look out later this week for the Sixth Doctor Primer minisode! Episode 107.5 will get us all caught up for the Classic Who Rewind on episode 109.
- Next week, we continue Series 702 with episode 12: Nightmare in Silver
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor, Jared, and James for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian or twitter.com/noobswhovian and email us at email@example.com. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.