Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that believes in ghosts: it’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Hila and I’m a time traveler from a pocket universe
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 104 covering Series 7 episode 9: Hide.
This is the one where the Doctor and Clara discover there’s no such thing as ghosts except when there is but really it’s aliens, well, two aliens and one time-traveling human that’s the great great great great great great great great great granddaughter of the couple that haven’t gotten together yet. It’s a love story!
- Story # 235
- Originally aired April 20, 2013 to 5 million live viewers, 1.61 time-shifted viewers, and 1.53 million online viewers in the month
- Written by: Neil Cross
- Directed by: Jamie Payne – his first Doctor Who. He’ll be back for the upcoming Christmas special, The Time of the Doctor
- Emma Grayling – Jessica Raine
- Plays Verity Lambert in the upcoming An Adventure in Space in Time
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- That’s what you do, you hide.
- Creature of the week
- The Crooked Man
- Bow ties are cool
- He used the bowtie to tie off the door
- The suit from The Waters of Mars
- Just before jumping into the pocket universe
- Running count – 12
- Stuff the Doctor loves
- Toggles – good noun, excellent verb
- Carrier pigeons
- Jiggery Pokery
- He smacked it and blew on it like a Nintendo cartridge
- She’s like a cat, a bit slow at first, but you’ll get there in the end.
- He rode on the TARDIS’ outside like Jack, but not through the Time Vortex
- We heard the cloister bells ringing for quite a while
- Psychic paper
- Seriously quicker-than-usual flash
- The Question/Doctor Who?
- Doctor what?
- I dare you, no taksie-backsies
Other stuff we noticed
- Because I don’t know and ignorance is… what’s the opposite of bliss? Carlisle. Yes, ignorance is Carlisle
- Time travel is impossible, the paradoxes…
- Resolve themselves for the most part…
- Who is Clara Oswald?
- She’s a bit weirded out by getting the whole spectrum of Earth’s history
- To you, I’m like a ghost
- She had a show-down with the TARDIS
- The Doctor specifically went there to ask Emma about Clara
- Who is The Doctor?
- Emma said not to trust him cuz there’s a sliver of ice in his heart
- You are the only mystery worth solving
- I am the Doctor, and I am afraid
Classic Who Connection
- The Eye of Harmony (AKA Rassilon’s Star) is the heart of a black hole that Rassilon (one of the original Time Lords) acquired originally. He simply suspended time over a forming black hole and harnessed the potential power from the collapsing star that would never happen. The Eye of Harmony is the key to the power of the Time Lords. It makes time travel possible for them and was the source of power on Gallifey. It is originally seen in The Deadly Assassin where the Master tries to use it to gain more regenerations, and it is seen again in the TV movie Doctor Who when the Master again tries to use it to steal the Doctor’s remaining regenerations
- The Third Doctor also used the blue crystal from Metebelis III except he pronounced it met-a-BEE-lis. These crystals could increase intelligence, counter hypnotic effects and increase psychic powers. The Third Doctor used these crystals in The Green Death and Planet of the Spiders.
- The Doctor entered a pocket universe in Classic Who in The Celestial Toymaker (First Doctor), The Mind Robbers (Second Doctor) and Full Circle (Fourth Doctor)
- The Seventh Doctor visited a grand home with his companion Ace in Ghost Light. In modern times, Ace burned down this house in her hometown but now they are visiting in 1883 to investigate the being that haunts the home.
- In the serial The Talons of Weng-Chiang the Fourth Doctor came upon a time traveler from the future whose travels has gone awry.
- The chalk drawing on the floor was very close to what the Seventh Doctor did in Battlefield to fix a problem from a pocket universe
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared – 8 haunted houses
- Austin – 6.5 cloister bells
- Corbin – 9 ghoooooooooosts
- Tripp – 10 scariness
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 275
- Austin – 450
- Corbin – 300
- Tripp – 500 but 300
- Tripp has nothin.
- Corbin says Clara is a ghost
- This was while he was listening to The Bells of St. John!
The Game Plan
- Next week, we’ll do our next Timey Wimey: Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey. It’s currently on Amazon Prime, so check out our link, as always.
- Hopefully our plans don’t get derailed. Bill & Ted Face the Music is slated to come out on August 21, so hopefully either the theaters are back open then, or they release it to streaming like so many other movies this year have had to do.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor, Jared, and James for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian or twitter.com/noobswhovian and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.