Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet with three hosts powered by the power of three: it’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 96 covering Series 7, Episode 4: The Power of the Three.
This is the one where small black cubes slowly take over the Earth while Amy discovers the sappiest pun in all of time and space.
- Story # 229
- Originally aired September 22, 2012 to 8.97 million viewers
- Written by:
- Directed by:
- The working title for this episode was actually Cubed, though Corbin thought it had to have been The Slow Invasion at some point.
- Corbin, would you like to remark on the title?
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- The Shakri never realized what cubed actually means: the power of three.
- Creature of the week
- Shakri and their cubes
- Doctor Who Logo
- Shakri cubes
- Cube slid open and he quietly said it
- Running count – 11
Other stuff we noticed
- Lots of pictures being posted to Twitter and Flickr.
- Seven sides of cubes. Cubes only have 6 sides, unless you count the inside.
- I love that this episode contains two or three mini-adventures within it!
- The Doctor takes them to a special anniversary getaway at the Savoy Hotel, turns out there’s a Zygon spaceship under the Savoy!
- Amy accidentally marries Henry VIII – this was actually them going back for the phone charger Rory left behind. You can barely see the Doctor holding onto it when they’re under the bed.
- Who are Amy & Rory?
- He thinks they need to choose between their two lives… but not today.
- She writes travel articles
- 10 years off and on traveling with the Doctor
- His job is important to him. What you do isn’t all there is.
- Did real life just get started? I kinda like it. So do I.
- Don’t be nice to me, I don’t want you to be nice to me. Yes you do, and you always get what you want.
- Who is The Doctor?
- Brian Cox says you’ll have to ask a better man than me, then it switches to the Doctor
- I hate being patient! Patience is for wimps!
- Showing off his soccer skills again
- Brian asks about his former companions. Some left me, some got left behind, and some, not many, died.
- He misses the Ponds
- If he ran a restaurant, all he’d serve is fish fingers and custard.
- Oh, and he invented the Yorkshire custard. Pudding, yet savory, sound familiar?
- He’s not running away from things, he’s running towards things before they flame out and fade away.
- She’s the first face his face saw and they are sealed onto his hearts.
- He’s running to Amy and Rory before they fade from him.
Classic who connection
- We have another reference to K-9, the metallic floating dog
- The meal at the Savoy hotel was ruined by a Zygon spaceship parked below. They Zygons appeared with the Fourth Doctor in the serial Terror of the Zygons
- They used a Defibrillator on the Doctor in the TV movie Doctor Who
- There was a reference to the companions who had passed while traveling with the Doctor. The three are Sara Kingdom, Katarina and Adric.
- Katarina was a companion of the First Doctor. She was only in two serials and the writers decided not to use her as a longtime companion. She died in the serial The Daleks Master Plan. In that serial Kirksen, an escaped prisoner of the Daleks, tries to use her as a hostage to get the Doctor to take him where he wants to go. Katarina sacrifices herself by releasing the airlock and dying in the vacuum of space.
- Sara Kingdom was brought on to replace Katarina and came into the sure during the same serial that Katarina left, The Daleks Master Plan. This was her only serial. The Doctor used a Time Destructor (a device that speeds up time) to defeat the Daleks. He ordered his companions back to the TARDIS, but Sara followed him instead, concerned that his plan would fail. The Doctor survived the effects of the Time Destructor because he is a Time Lord, but Sara aged rapidly and died.
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared –
- Austin – 9 mini-adventures
- Corbin – 8.5 hologram Palpatines
- Tripp – 8.5 vanta black cubes
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared –
- Austin – 1
- Corbin – 1
- Tripp – 100
- Tripp says Amy’s gonna die.
The Game Plan
- Next week, we continue with series 7 with The Angels take Manhattan.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Thing One: Tripp Reason. Our Production Editor is the Other One: Corbin Reason. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at Facebook or Twitter or email us. Consider supporting us at Patreon. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.
Until next time, be safe if you can. But always. Be. Amazing.