Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet revisiting its first episode: it’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who ALSO HAVE.
Welcome to Episode 96 covering Series 1, Episode 1: Rose.
This is the one where Rose meets a mysterious man named the Doctor after being attacked by mannequins. Mickey gets eaten by a trash can, and Clive gets shot in the face.
Remember that one?
- Story # 157
- Originally aired March 26, 2005 to 10.81 million viewers
- Written by: Russell T
- Directed by: Keith Boak
- Also did Aliens of London and World War Three
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Creature of the week
- Nestene Consciousness
- The fire is pretty okay
- The bin is terrible
- The Nestene Conscious is pretty bad
- Bad wolf
- The only episode in the first season to not reference it
- Jiggery Pokery
- The entire forces of Ghengis Khan couldn’t get through this door. Believe me they tried
- They really dragged out the reveal of the bigger inside.
- They also had a much different way of making the transition to inside the TARDIS because of technology
- Disappears here reappears there
- That’s not how it works now
- RTD tweeted – “Dimension singular, like in Hartnell’s day”
- Was it plural in other parts of Classic Who?
- The Question/Doctor Who?
- Doctor what was it
- Doctor what
- Doctor tell me… who are you
- Doctor Who.com?
- Existential Horror
Other stuff we noticed
- The old theory bumper comes from this episode
- Our ending bumper also came from this episode
- Bad wolf theme is played even though it’s never said
- The Shadow Proclamation is mentioned
- Who is Rose?
- Oh what the whole world revolves around you
- No the whole universe around him!
- A hero from the beginning!
- She saved his butt!
- Was the scene with the Nestene very reminiscent of Donna & Tennant with the Empress of the Racnoss
- Oh what the whole world revolves around you
- Who is Mickey?
- He was much more thuggish than I remember at the beginning
- No one likes Mickey
- He’s an actual baby in this episode
- He’s NOT invited
- Thanks. Thanks for what? Exactly
- Who is The Doctor?
- Ah could of been worse. But look at me ears
- The first time they tell you the world’s turning and you just can’t quite believe it because everything looks like it’s standing still. I can feel it. The turn of the Earth. The ground beneath our feet is spinning at a thousand miles an hour, and the entire planet is hurtling round the sun at sixty seven thousand miles an hour, and I can feel it. We’re falling through space, you and me, clinging to the skin of this tiny little world, and if we let go. That’s who I am. Now, forget me, Rose Tyler. Go home.
- Places he was at
- Jfk assassination
- The discovery of the Sumatra
- He brings a storm in his wake and his only constant companion is death
- He’s been making house calls. The eleventh doctor said he hadn’t made one in a while
- He went off about saving every stupid monkey running around on this planet
- You sound like you’re from the North. Lot’s of places have a North
- He’s not here to kill the Nestene Consciousness, he has to give it a chance
- Shadow Proclamation!
- I AM TALKING!
- Who else said this? Was it Ten or Eleven?
- I should know, I fought in the war I was there. I couldn’t save your world
Classic who connection
- The Autons and the Nestene Consciousness goes back to the Third Doctor in the serials Spearhead from Space and Terror of the Autons
- The sonic screwdriver looks new, but still makes the classic sounds. This was reintroduced in the TV movie Doctor Who.
- The bad card trick gag goes back to the Fourth Doctor in the serial Robot. In that episode he successfully spreads the cards out and feeds them from one had to the other.
- When the Fourth Doctor regenerated in the serial Robot he also commented about not being fond of his ears
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared – 7.5 Doctor Who conspiracists
- Austin – 8.5 plastic Mickeys
- Corbin – 7 Clives
- Tripp – 8 anti anti plastics
The Game Plan
- Next week, we continue with series 7 with The Power of Three.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian or twitter.com/noobswhovian and email us at [email protected]. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.