Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet getting on a spaceship to escape the coronavirus: it’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 94 covering Series 7, Episode 2: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.
This is the one where the Doctor, Amy, Rory, and Rory’s dad team up with John Ridell and Queen Nefertiti to save some dinosaurs on a spaceship!
Remember that one?
- Story # 227
- Originally aired September 8, 2012 to 9.4 million global viewers throughout September
- Written by: Chris Chibnall, Chibs to his friends, and current showrunner
- Directed by: Saul Metzstein who did Pond Life, as well as several other upcoming episodes, particularly The Name of the Doctor, the episode right before the 50th anniversary.
- This episode features the series’ second time the Doctor has kissed a male companion, the first being between Captain Jack and Nine.
- However, unlike that charming little moment, this one was completely improvised by Matt Smith!
- Brian Williams – Mark Williams
- Ron Weasley’s dad
- Currently playing Father Brown
- Solomon – David Bradley
- Argus Filch in Harry Potter
- Walder Frey in Game of Thrones
- We just might see him again around the Whoniverse…
- Bleytal – Richard Hope
- He played the Silurian doctor, Malohkeh, so while it wasn’t actually the same Silurian, it was the same actor.
- This is similar to the two Silurians in Hungry Earth.
- John Ridell – Rupert Graves
- Inspector Lestrade in Sherlock, a BBC creation of Mofatt and Mark Gatiss.
- Robots – Mitchell and Webb
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Creature of the week
- The CGI velociraptors were created for another BBC show called Primeval.
- As he jumped on the triceratops!
- Running count – 9+1
- Stuff the Doctor loves
- I’m going to look at rocks, love a rock!
- Jiggery Pokery
- Psychic paper
- It makes notification sounds, apparently like a clown horn
- He had it set to Temporal News.
- Like Google News alerts?
- Psychic paper
- Who is Brian?
- He took to everything fairly well I’d say.
- He carries a foldable trowel. What kind of man doesn’t carry a trowel?
- Brian Pond, you are delicious. I’m not a Pond.
- He got to go travel some with the Doctor.
- Who is Rory?
- Because of the shenanigans with his dad getting sucked into an adventure (super lucky that he did, as it turns out…), Rory is the first, and so far only person to have traveled in the TARDIS with both his parent and his child.
- Remember after the wedding when Amy and I went traveling… to Thailand… more like all of time and space.
- He’s 31 and doesn’t have a Christmas list anymore.
- He carries a medpack instead of a trowel. As they travel, he keeps his eyes out for cool stuff.
- Who is Amy?
- She’s a queen, specifically Rory’s queen, but don’t ever tell him she said that!
- She’s got her own companions
- I’m easily worth two men. You can help too if you like.
- Who is The Doctor?
- He has a Christmas list
- He played Fantasia in F Minor for four hands, as hands three and four.
- He’s a Sagittarius, probably…
- Very emotive words, Doctor. I’m a very emotive man.
Can we talk about The Doctor?
- So, he straight-up murdered Solomon, right?
Other stuff we noticed
- They gave Solomon the wrong Bible name
Can we talk about Companions?
- Amy said “what do you mean WITH you? Are they the new us, is that why we haven’t seen you?”
- Never had a gang before!
Classic who connection
- The Silurians used dinosaurs for protection in Doctor Who and the Silurians
- Again the Doctor says that the TARDIS is not a taxi service. He first said this to Adric as the Fifth doctor
- Humans used the same idea a couple of times to launch a giant ark spaceship to save the human race. This happened twice in the Doctor’s experience. The First Doctor landed on one in “The Ark” and the Fourth Doctor landed on the other in “The Ark in Space”
- The Fifth Doctor saw the demise of the dinosaurs in “Earthshock” which was due to a spaceship crashing into Earth and not due to the approaching meteor that the Silurians thought it would impact Earth and destroy all life in “Doctor Who and the Silurians” that meteor turned out to go into orbit around Earth and become the moon.
- The Third Doctor encountered dinosaurs in “Invasion of the Dinosaurs” and he was also careful not to harm or kill any of them at that time.
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared – 7.5 stunned raptors
- Austin – 7 dinosaurs on a spaceship
- Corbin – 6 pterodactyls
- Tripp – 8.5 evil doctors
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 75
- Austin – 75
- Corbin – 100
- Tripp – 186
The Game Plan
- Next week, we continue with series 7 with A Town Called Mercy .
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, and to Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian or twitter.com/noobswhovian and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.