Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that have been replaced by ventriloquist (or vetrilicwist according to Tripp) dummies: it’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 88 covering series 6 episode 11: The God Complex.
This is the one where the Doctor, Amy, Rory, and the other people get slowly picked off one by one by a Minotaur in the creepiest way possible. Also, there’s a sad clown.
- Story # 222
- Originally aired September 17, 2011 to 6.77 million viewers
- Written by: Toby Whithouse
- He also wrote Vampires of Venice and School Reunion, which also touched on the theme of losing companions
- Directed by: Nick Hurran
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Why’s it up to you to save us? That’s quite a God complex you’ve got there.
- Creature of the week
- Mi-nah-tar or Mee-no-tor
- Stuff the Doctor loves
- Things, hello! I love things, ask anyone.
- Jiggery Pokery
- He used it to make a very loud noise
- TV remote
- Acted as a suped-up microphone
- Jibberty Jabberty
- This is bad. We’re three buses, a long walk, _______, and a taxi from good.
Other stuff we noticed
- In The Eleventh Hour, the Doctor told Amy that he most definitely was a madman with a box and that remembering that might one day save her life. It finally did.
- Who is Rory?
- It’s ok, we’re nice
- We forgot not all victories are about saving the universe
- Who is Amy?
- She has great faith in the Doctor
- Who is The Doctor?
- I’ve never been threatened with a chair leg. Oh wait, I tell a lie.
- He has a medical degree as well as a degree in cheese making
- He casually solved the Rubik off-screen
- But he couldn’t solve it in Night Terrors
- He took away Amy’s childhood and then lead her by her hand to her death. And he knew this would happen, this always happens.
- He took Amy because he was vain and wanted to be adored.
- I’m not a hero, I really just am a madman in a box.
- An ancient creature drenched in the blood of the innocent. Drifting through space in an endless shifting maze. To such a creature, death would be a gift.
- Bad penny is my middle name. Seriously, you should see the looks I get when I fill in a form.
- What’s the alternative? Standing over your grave?
- Who is Rita?
- She’s a companion who never was, like Lady Christina de Souza, Madame du Pompadour, Astrid Peth, and Lynda Moss
- She thought they were in hell
- She’s pretty clever
- She’s pretty heroic
Classic who connection
- Could not find any time The Doctor was previously threatened with a chair leg (or any other chair part for that matter)
- While there are no other references to The Doctor having a doctorate in cheese making, the Third Doctor seemed to love cheese (one time he ate an entire plate of cheese sandwiches meant for Jo Grant leaving only the lettuce garnish behind). Perhaps he earned his doctorate while in exile on Earth.
- The Seventh Doctor also intentionally caused his companion Ace to lose faith in him so he could save her. In the serial The Curse of Fenric, The Seventh Doctor called Ace an “emotional cripple” so the Ancient One could defeat Fenric.
- In the serial The Mind of Evil, the Third Doctor was forced to see what he feared most by The Master’s Keller Machine. At that time he saw a number of his enemies and a world consumed by fire.
- It was the Fourth Doctor who was the Nimons in the serial The Horns of Nimon
- The Second Doctor came upon a Minotaur in the serial The Mind Robber and the Third Doctor also encountered one in The Time Monster (but he was just a transformed human)
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared – 8 bright blue eyes
- Austin – 9 ceiling-scraping horns
- Corbin – 8.5 companions that could have been
- Tripp – 9.5 sad clowns
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 175, 100 just for the clown
- Austin – 425
- Corbin – 375
- Tripp – 400
- What will happen with Eleven dying?
- Corbin thinks this will be the end of series 6 and they will avert Eleven’s death.
- Who is the impossible astronaut?
- Corbin thinks it’s River.
- Tripp thinks it’s River.
- Corbin’s whole theory
- The River, who is the impossible astronaut and the little girl, kills the Doctor in the season finale and that is why she is in Stormcage. Also, she is the Doctor’s wife.
- What happens with Amy and Rory?
- Tripp thinks we never see them again
- Corbin thinks they’re in the season finale
The Game Plan
- Next week we continue our mad dash to the series finale by watching Closing Time .
- After The Wedding of River Song, we have our first Timey Wimey of 2020: Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure!
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.