Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet with a Patreon cohost: it’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs! And with us this week is our special Hosting Host, Victor! Say hi Victor!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t. And one other guy who has!
Welcome to Episode 87 covering series 6 episode 10: The Girl Who Waited.
This is the one where the Doctor, Amy, Rory, and… Amy? face off against robuts whose kindness can kill you. Amy gets stuck in a faster time stream, things get wibbly wobbly, and Rory has to choose between two wives.
Remember that one?
- Story # 221
- Originally aired September 10, 2011 to 7.6 million viewers
- Written by: Tom Macrae
- Directed by: Nick Hurran
- Voice of Interface – Imelda Staunton
- Delores Umbridge from Harry Potter
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- I mean, not in THIS episode, but lots of other times in the last two seasons
- Creature of the week
- Handbots – start out as somewhat innocent-looking, though Rory is immediately skeptical
- Bow ties are cool
- Glasses are cool
- Doctor Who?
- Running count – 7
- Stuff the Doctor loves
- Jiggery Pokery
- Amy just straight up built one
- What’s the nasty Amy done to you?
- Psychic paper
- Needless sacrificial death
- Jibberty Jabberty
- Maybe if we shunted the reality compensators on the TARDIS, recalibrated the Doomsday Bumpers and jettison the karaoke bar, yes, maybe, yes. The TARDIS could sustain the paradox.
- Silence will fall
- The Question
- Eye-patch Lady
- The Doctor’s Rules
- Jammie Dodger sighting
- Running count – 3
- Existential Horror
Other stuff we noticed
- The check-in girl referenced a death-coaster that was an exact replica of the one at Disneyland Clom.
- Clom was the home of the Abzorbaloff and was also one of the 27 planets stolen by the Daleks.
- Time is always a bit wibbly wobbly but in Two Streams, it’s extra wubbly.
- Who is Victor?
- Tell us a little about yourself: how old are you? Where are ya from?
- How long have you been watching Doctor Who and how did you find it?
- How much Classic Who have you seen?
- How much NuWho have you seen?
- Lightning round!
- Favorite Doctor
- Fav companion
- Fav villain
- Lamest villain
- You’re the Doctor’s companion, future or past?
- Bad Wolf or Impossible Girl?
- Who is Rory?
- Are they happy? Oh, Rory, leave it to you to think of that.
- I don’t care that you got old. I care that we didn’t get old together.
- Amy named the robot Rory.
- He had to choose which wife he wanted. This isn’t fair, you’re turning me into you.
- Who is Amy?
- Rory, I love you. Now save me. Go on then.
- Rory’s the most beautiful man she’s ever met.
- The Macarena?!
- Who is Old Amy?
- The makeup on Old Amy was GOOD
- She started to put on lipstick, but decided not to.
- She hasn’t laughed in 36 years
- All those boys chasing me and it always only Rory
- You’re asking me to defy destiny, causality, the nexus of time itself for a boy.
- You’re Amy. He’s Rory. So yes I am.
- I’m gonna pull Time apart for you.
- I’d forgotten how much I loved being her: Amy Pond in the TARDIS with Rory.
- Who is The Doctor?
- Who couldn’t go into the Red Waterfall because the plague thing would kill him, no regeneration. WHY NOT?!
- Blue box man flying through space and time on wimzy.
- Who is River Song
Can we talk about people abandoned in alternate timelines?
- It is a sci-fi trope that someone abandoned in time WILL go insane and WILL turn absolute hatred towards the ones that abandoned them.
- This has now happened both to Rory and Amy.
- Corbin seemed to have an issue with this idea, saying that she would’ve found a reason to laugh in 36 years.
- This episode reminded me a lot of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’s Children of Time, which we covered in a Timey Wimey episode 18.
- Here’s the fundamental question that both of these episodes raise: If you do something that causes someone (or a whole civilization) to have never existed, is it murder?
Classic Who Connection
- Once there were two Amys running around creating a paradox, the Doctor said that the TARDIS “hates” it. This is not the first time that the Doctor has attributed emotions or a personality to the TARDIS. The Fourth Doctor did it in The Ribos Operation and the first five Doctors did it in the serial The Five Doctors.
- A replica of the Mona Lisa is also seen in the Fourth Doctor serial City of Death
- In the First Doctor Serial The Massacre, the companion Steven Taylor was in love with Ann Chaplet. She was about to be killed and Steven wanted the Doctor to save her. While the Doctor knew that they could not alter time to save her, he lied and gave them both hope that she could be saved, but in the end he had to let her die, much to Steven’s disappointment and anger.
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared – 7.5 sonic probes
- Victor – 8 soaring silver colonnades
- Austin – 9 face syringes
- Corbin – 8 teleporting robots
- Tripp – 10 sad endings
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 100
- Victor – 100
- Austin – 125
- Corbin – 50
- Tripp – 250
- What will happen with Eleven dying?
- Corbin thinks this will be the end of series 6 and they will avert Eleven’s death.
- Who is the impossible astronaut?
- Corbin thinks it’s River.
- Tripp thinks it’s River.
- Corbin’s whole theory
- The River, who is the impossible astronaut and the little girl, kills the Doctor in the season finale and that is why she is in Stormcage. Also, she is the Doctor’s wife.
The Game Plan
- Next week we continue our mad dash to the series finale by watching The God Complex.
- After The Wedding of River Song, we have our first Timey Wimey of 2020: Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure!
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.