Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only audio podcast on the internet with an electrified scaffolding in our studio: Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 86 covering Classic Who Season 12 episodes 11-16: Genesis of the Daleks.
This is the one where the Fourth Doctor is sent by the Time Lords to destroy the Daleks before they ever get started. But does he have that right?
Remember that one?
- Story # 78
- Originally aired March 8 – April 12, 1975 to 8.5 to 10.7 million viewers
- Written by: Terry Nation (father of the Daleks)
- Directed by: David Maloney
- A Doctor Who Magazine poll in 1998 rated this the fans’ favorite episode of all time.
- This serial not only introduced Davros, it set him up as a recurring character that would appear in all the remaining Classic Who Dalek episodes.
- Davros – Michael Wisher
- He also voiced the Daleks through the 70’s
- Creature of the week – we’ll discuss both of these in the Who’s who section:
- The Daleks
- The Mutos
- Jiggery Pokery
- Our first glimpse of a Classic Who sonic!
- He used it to blow up a control panel
- No TARDIS
- Turn out your pockets – it might take a while!
Other stuff we noticed
- Why is there an electrify-the-scaffolding button?! And why didn’t they hit it earlier?!?!
- Who is Davros?
- He was the Kaleds chief scientist and supreme commander
- He taught there was no life outside of Skaro
- What’s the deal with his appearance?
- Who are the Daleks
- Davros developed them by corrupting Kaleds, turning them into (unseen) monsters
- He took that even further by making alterations to their brains so they had no conscience, no emotions
- Who is the Fourth Doctor?
- Overall, what do yall think of him?
- So, he was totally cool with genocide for a minute
- Does it hold up?
- Bad special effects
- The opening sequence was pretty awesome! Besides his face
- The green screen was pretty janky
- That Davros mask and glove was pretty bad
- Every single death in this episode
- Bad special effects
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Austin – 6 out of 10 glove seams
- Corbin – 7 forehead eyeballs
- Tripp – 6 stubby hands
- Jared –
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Austin – 75
- Corbin – 50
- Tripp – 1
- Jared –
The Game Plan
- Next week we begin our mad dash to the series finale by watching The Girl Who Waited. Which, apparently, Tripp can’t wait for!
- After The Wedding of River Song, we have our first Timey Wimey of 2020: Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure!
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian and email us at [email protected]. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.