Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that actually works harder on holidays: it’s the Noobs and the Whovian!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 79 covering series 6 episode 3: The Curse of the Black Spot.
This is the one where the Doctor, Amy and Rory play pirates for the day! They find themselves on a becalmed ship cursed by a Siren that’s killing all the wounded. Only, it turns out she’s a space doctor!
Remember that one?
- Story # 215
- Originally aired May 7, 2011 to 7.85 million viewers
- Written by: Steve Thompson
- Directed by: Marcus Wilson
- Everybody lives! And there was no actual villain. Only two other NuWho episodes can say the same.
- Henry Avery – Hugh Bonneville
- Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham from Downton Abbey
- Avery was a real naval officer turned pirate who actually did plunder the Mogul of India. He then disappeared in 1696.
- Apparently, he disappeared because he took an alien ghost ship to the Dog Star!
- It’s Your Name November! If you haven’t already, it’s time to reserve your name dot com! Whatever industry you’re in, having your very own domain name can come in handy.
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Not exactly
- Creature of the week
- The Siren – the Siren stories of pirates were, you guessed it, aliens!
- Bow ties are cool
- He put on the vaporized pirates tri-corner hat
- Doctor Who?
- Jiggery Pokery
- Kitchen there, choice of bathrooms there, there, and there
- If the wind is VERY still, the TARDIS can be becalmed
- It ran off on its own
- Psychic paper
- Jibberty Jabberty
- Silence will fall
- Eye-patch Lady
- We saw her in the door at the orphanage in the last story.
- This week, we saw her in the hull of the ship!
- Jammie Dodger sighting
- Running count – 2
Other stuff we noticed
- Yeah, curses: big with humans. Curses just mean something’s wrong but you can’t be bothered to find out why.
- Who is Rory?
- He dead… again.
- Died in both dream worlds – Amy’s Choice
- Shot by a Silurian and absorbed by the crack in time – Cold Blood
- Auton Rory was rebooted along with the universe – The Big Bang
- Shot by Canton (fake) – Day of the Moon
- Drowned – The Curse of the Black Spot
- Running count – 6
- He dead… again.
- Who is Amy?
- So, last week we saw Rory kickin butt to save Amy. This week it’s flipped.
- She’s kicking butt! Corbin said “Where’d she learn to use a sword?!”
- Who is The Doctor?
- He’s groovy about the demon. It’s nice if someone’s going to kill ya they drop you a note first.
- Has he ever been wrong so many times in one episode/story?!
- Space can be very lonely. And the greatest adventure is having someone to share it with you.
- As always, he’s fascinated by the murderous/misunderstood alien.
- Who is the little girl?
Classic Who Connection
- The black spot marking those that are hunted is very similar to the green mark that individuals would get before mutating into a Primord in the Third Doctor serial Inferno
- The Fifth Doctor landed the TARDIS in the hold of a sailing ship called the Shadow in the serial Enlightenment
- We heard of Captain Avery before in the First Doctor serial The Smugglers
- The concept of two objects being in the same location in space at the same time but without really touching was also introduced in the 16th season of Classic Who with the Fourth Doctor. The story for the entire season is known as the Key to Time. A spaceship crashed on top of The Nine Travellers (a group of stones akin to Stonehenge) The stones were in N-space and the ship was in hyperspace. This is from the serial The Stones of Blood.
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Jared – 8.75 Treasures thrown overboard
- Austin – 5 broken windows
- Corbin – 6 pterodactyl alien heads
- Tripp – 9 pirate-girl Amys
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared -150
- Austin – 275
- Corbin – 130
- Tripp – 160
- What will happen with Eleven dying?
- Corbin thinks this will be the end of series 6 and they will avert Eleven’s death.
- Tripp thinks that this is the way Eleven actually dies at the end of series 7.
- Who is the impossible astronaut?
- Corbin thinks it’s the little girl.
- Tripp thinks it’s a past version of Eleven.
- Who is the little girl?
- She’s a timelord
- Corbin thinks she’s Amy’s daughter. Her regeneration and strength are a result of the Schroedinger’s baby thing, whatever that is.
- Who is River?
- Corbin thinks she’s married to the Doctor. She’s in Stormcage for killing someone, even though not the Doctor.
- Tripp thinks it’s obvious that she’s married to the Doctor, and she’s in Stormcage because she killed the Doctor.
- Christina and the Little Doctor
- Ok, so our family dinner conversation gravitated to your last podcast and the fact that turtles make a lame baddie. I’m not afraid to admit it, there’s definitely a creep factor missing. So, together, we came up with a new baddie for the boy Doctor.
- We named the species the Tempus Fugit. They are time munchers. Ever wake up feeling as though you just fell asleep even though you’ve had a good 8 hours of rest?
- That’s because of the Tempus Fugit. They live behind your eardrum, wait until you fall asleep and eat your time. Sometimes they only eat a couple of hours, other times they gorge themselves all night long. They travel from host to host (carried by the wind) in hopes they won’t be discovered, but every now and then one will get too large to remove itself from the ear causing insomnia.
- The twist is, this baddie isn’t an alien, it’s indigenous to earth and is older than the human race. There are always a few Time munchers about but every 673 years they appear in great numbers making nearly everyone a haggard mess. (Kind of how cicadas come out every 17 years) The last time we dealt with them was in 1347, but it was overshadowed by the plague. Anyway, next time you wake up tired, try cleaning your ears.
- Our family is hoping your family has a very happy thanksgiving.
The Game Plan
- In two weeks, after The Doctor’s Wife, we’ll be doing a Timey Wimey on A Christmas Carol. We have two options:
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.