Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that flies with the sharks: Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 77 covering the 2010 Christmas episode A Christmas Carol.
This is the one where the Doctor does Scrooge in space! Rory and Amy are stuck on a crashing ship and the only man who can stop it is a humbug named Kazran Sardick. The Doctor invades his past to change his present and save the future!
Remember that one?
- Story # 213
- Originally aired December 25, 2010 to 12.11 million viewers
- Written by: Steven Moffat
- Directed by: Toby Haynes
- Steven Moffat said before it aired that this episode would be the most “Christmassy Christmas special ever,” adding, “It’s all your favourite Christmas movies at once, in an hour, with monsters and the Doctor and a honeymoon…”
- First Christmas special where “everybody lives!”
- Kazran Sardick – Sir Michael Gambon
- Played Dumbledore from Prisoner of Azkaban onward
- Abigail Pettigrew – Katherine Jenkins
- She was actually not an actress prior to this episode! She is a classically trained vocalist and was asked to audition for the role because of the singing element.
- She assumed she wouldn’t get the part!
- It’s Your Name November! If you haven’t already, it’s time to reserve your name dot com! Whatever industry you’re in, having your very own domain name can come in handy.
- Name of the episode spoken in dialogue?
- Creature of the week
- Face spiders – little baby heads with spider legs that are evolved to crawl up the backs of cupboards. Except late at night when they’re IN YOUR MATTRESS!
- Bad CGI
- The fishies were pretty good
- The shark, not so much
- Geronimo – 1, right before going for his sonic in the shark’s belly
- Running Count – 6
- Jiggery Pokery
- Psychic Paper
- It shorted out because he lied too big: I think you’ll find I’m a board-certified adult.
- Isomorphic controls. The Doctor acted like that was nonsense, they don’t exist. The Master’s laser screwdriver was isomorphic
- Psychic Paper
- Jibberty Jabberty
- Sorry about the picture quality. I had to recover the data using quantum enfolding and a paper clip.
- Silence will fall
- When you’re alone, Silence is all you see
- When you’re alone, Silence is all you know
- When you’re alone, Silence is all you’ll be
- Who is Kazran Sardick?
- He hates Christmas, but the Doctor says it’s very him: halfway out of the dark.
- He learned life’s most invaluable lesson: nobody comes.
- Who is The Doctor?
- We can’t just let it crash, sir. Says who? (TARDIS noise)
- He’s always known Father Christmas as Jeff.
- He was with him and Albert Einstein at Frank Sinatra’s hunting lodge in 1952
- In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important.
- What do you want?! A simple life.
- He loves a cupboard.
- He wears a bowtie and he doesn’t care. Which makes people trust him. Which is why bowties are cool.
- He has no idea about women. Apparently, instead of kissing girls, he created a sonic screwdriver
- He accidentally got engaged to Marilyn Monroe
Other stuff we noticed
- There’s a moon that’s made of actual honey. Well, it’s not actually honey. It’s not actually a moon. And technically it’s alive and a bit carnivorous, but there are some great views.
- Everything’s got to end, otherwise, nothing would ever get started.
Can we talk about the wibbly wobblies?
- He jumps back in time and lands in the video they were just watching. He talks to old Kazran through the camera.
- They needed the code to the cryo-crypt so old Kazran said it aloud. The Doctor hopped back in, heard old Kazran say it, told it to young Kazran he used it, and therefore knew it moving forward.
- He tells Kazran that the past is changing and therefore so will his memories.
- As he sees things happen on screen, he gains new memories. How can I have new memories?!
- The lady is her sister. I met her once when she was… older.
- I see you in a minute, I mean, a year.
- He turned Kazran into the ghost of Christmas future!
- All of your past being wrong
- Kazran’s character ended up the same way, no matter what
Classic Who Connection
- The Fourth Doctor failed at card tricks in Robot
- The Seventh Doctor claimed to be friends with Einstein in Time and the Rani
- On one of the Christmas Eve visits to Abigail with Kazran they showed up wearing long striped scarves much like the one the Fourth Doctor wore and it was when she had 4 days left
- In the pyramids of Mars the Fourth Doctor claimed that the TARDIS had isomorphic controls. This was apparently quickly forgotten or ignored by the writers
- In the serial Marco Polo the First Doctor talked about seeing flying fish
- As mentioned before the sonic screwdriver was also destroyed in the Fifth Doctor’s serial The Visitation
- The First Doctor accidentally got engaged in The Aztecs
- Overall rating out of 10
- Jared – 8 cryogenic freezing chambers
- Austin – 10 flying fishies
- Corbin – 8.5 grouchy old Kazrans
- Tripp – 9 misplaced memories
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 25
- Austin – 50
- Corbin – 50
- Tripp – 150
- We’re still on our mission to get a new review each month. So here’s a challenge: leave us a review in the month of your birthday. So, if your birthday is in September, it’s your turn! If you do, send me an email saying you left your birthday month review and we’ll not only read the review but we’ll wish you a happy birthday on the show!
The Game Plan
- Be sure to watch the mini-sodes Space, Time and Prequel to The Impossible Astronaut
- Then we’re off to series 6 with a two-part premiere: The Impossible Astronaut and The Day of the Moon.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian and email us at [email protected]. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.