Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only audio podcast on the internet that uses a green screen: Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Corbin and Tripp: and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 76 covering Classic Who Season 8 episodes 1-4: The Terror Of The Autons.
This is the one where the Third Doctor meets a new companion, Whovians meet the Master, and Jo meets the Autons. The Autons are invading the Earth and the Master is helping them, until he realizes he’ll be killed to. He and the Doctor save the day, and both are now stuck on Earth with broken TARDIS’s.
Remember that one?
- Story # 55
- Originally aired January 2-23, 1971
- Written by: Robert Holmes
- Directed by: Barry Letts
It’s Your Name November! If you haven’t already, it’s time to reserve your name dot com! Whatever industry you’re in, having your very own domain name can come in handy.
- Creature of the week
- The Master – we’ll talk more about him later on
- Autons & The Nestene Consciousness
- The Nestenes are disembodied octopodes?
- The Troll doll
- The daffodils and the CO2 dissolvable plastic film
- The Autons – contrast their handguns with NuWho’s
- Bad special effects
- Holy green screen, Batman! Like, why did they green screen in an office?
- All of the fake faces
- Auton police officer
- Master as phone technician
- Jackson as the Master
- Jiggery Pokery
- Psychic paper –
- Was the ID that the Master (in disguise as a phone technician) a psychic paper?
- Psychic paper –
Other stuff we noticed
- Did that random Time Lord messenger travel via invisible TARDIS?
- Who is The Master?
- He can’t snap! Every time he snapped, there was NO SOUND
- Corbin said he had such a serious resting face.
- Who is The Third Doctor?
- I’m digging the cape!
- What’s wrong with being childish? I like being childish.
- I think you’ll find, sir, that I’m qualified to deal with everything. If I so choose.
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Austin – 4 dissolving plastic films
- Corbin – 7.5 Baby troll dolls
- Tripp -6.5 weird smiles
- Jared – 7.5 deadly inflatable chairs Rating it as as a classic who story, not stacking it up against Nuwho
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Austin – 125
- Corbin – 100
- Tripp – 100
- Jared – 100 creep levels based on the fact that they thought their special effects would be creepy. So bad, even by 1970s standards
- From Christina on Facebook:
- How do you know you’ve been watching too much Doctor Who? When you have dreams about watching Doctor Who. It was a regeneration episode and the Doctor came back as a GINGER!!! That’s right, oh how happy he was to find he was finally a ginger, until he realized he was a 12 year old boy. And let me tell you, he was none too happy about the prospect of going through puberty all over again. I won’t bore you with all the weird dreamy stuff that never quite makes sense but I will tell you he happened upon a Wilf like grandpa type who tried to protect the Doctor the entire adventure and ended up becoming his companion. I’m going to rate my dream a 10 out of 10 red hairs and freckles just simply for the great mood I woke up in. ☺️
The Game Plan
- Next week have Christmas in November as we cover the 2010 Christmas episode, A Christmas Carol.
- These are separate now, kinda like the David Tennant specials were. So, search out Doctor Who – Christmas Specials, or follow our link.
- Then, we might do a mini-sode on the prequel mini-sodes Space, Time and Prequel to The Impossible Astronaut
- Then we’re off to series 6 with a two-part premiere: The Impossible Astronaut and The Day of the Moon.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian and email us at [email protected]. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.