The Doctor takes Rory and Amy on a vacation to 16th Century Venice, only to discover space-fish vampires are planning to sink it! Tune in to find out if this is Austin’s favorite episode of all time… or not.
Live from Master Closet Studios, you’re listening to the only podcast on the internet that can see Silence through the cracks. Noobs and the Whovian!
My name is Austin and I’m the Whovian, and these are my sons Tripp and Corbin and we’re the noobs!
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 70 covering series 5 episodes 6, Vampires of Venice.
This is the one where the Doctor, Amy, and Rory find space vampires in 16th century Venice. They came through the Cracks in the universe to escape their dying world, only to be (basically) killed by the Doctor.
Remember that one?
- Story # 207
- Originally aired May 8, 2010 to 7.69 million viewers
- Written by: Toby Whithouse
- Also wrote School Reunion with the gargoyles
- Directed by: Johnny Campbell
- Christopher Eccleston is coming back into the fold!
- Creature of the week
- Space Vampires!
- Er… space fish
- Space Vampires!
- Bad CGI
- Door electricity
- Storm clouds
- Geronimo –
- Running Count – 3
- Jiggery Pokery
- Apparently, it works better behind your back sometimes
- It can heal wounds?!?!
- Psychic Paper
- It didn’t fool Rosanna
- Jibberty Jabberty
- Time War
- The Pandorica will open
- Silence will fall
- The girl was sacrificed in memory of the children lost to the Silence
- The Saturnyns ran from the Silence, that’s why they’re on earth
- At the end of the episode, the Doctor and Rory heard nothing but Silence
- The Crack
- The Cracks are tiny or as big as the sky
- They saw the Silence through it
- Jammie Dodger sighting
- Running count – 1
- Existential horror
- Who is The Doctor?
- Meanwhile in the TARDIS
- He’s space Gandalf!
- He can’t see it anymore. When you make the whole universe your backyard, what do you have left? A backyard.
- He’s had… a few companions
- He has a library card with the first Doctors face
- He doesn’t want to get Amy involved with the plan because “that’s how they go”
- He will tear Rosanna’s house down because she didn’t remember Isabella’s name
- Rosanna asks if his conscience can carry the weight of another dead race
- Meanwhile in the TARDIS
- Who is Amelia?
- Who does she love? What do yall think?
- Who is Rory?
- Tripp called him the new Mickey
- Will do anything for Amy
- Including sword fighting!
Classic Who Connection
- Library Card
- The Doctor flashed his library card instead of the psychic paper and the picture was of the 1st Doctor, William Hartnell. The name on it says Dr. J. Smith. Until now the earliest mention of The Doctor using the name John Smith was by his companion Jamie McCrimmon in The Wheel in Space. The address on the card is 76 Totter’s Lane, Shoreditch, London which is the address of the junkyard we see in An Unearthly Child.
- We have 2 other vampire encounters in Classic Who. The Fourth Doctor saw real vampires (on a medieval planet that was not Earth and in E-space) in the serial State of Decay and the Seventh Doctor saw the Haemovores which were vampire-like (and also lived in water) in The Curse of Fenric.
- Overall rating out of 10
- Jared – 7.5 fanged teeth
- Austin – 5
- Corbin – 8 giant crawfish
- Tripp -8.5 perception filters
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Jared – 100
- Austin – 250
- Corbin – 150
- Tripp – 135
- Corbin thinks The Crack will
appearfeature in every episodestory and that either the Master orthe New Paradigm Daleks or Davros are responsible for it and the Silence.
- Well ACTUALLY, it didn’t appear in episode 4
- Correct so far
- Tripp thinks The Crack has something to do with Amy not remembering the Stolen Earth incident.
- Tripp thinks The Crack is the end of the universe like the end of the sidewalk. The Crack is in the Wall of the Universe.
- He also thinks that when the Doctor messed with it in Eleventh Hour that it changed it and caused the problem.
- Tripp thinks the Star Whale is significant and we’ll see it again.
- Not yet…
- We’re still on our mission to get a new review each month. So here’s a challenge: leave us a review in the month of your birthday. So, if your birthday is in September, it’s your turn! If you do, send me an email saying you left your birthday month review and we’ll not only read the review but we’ll wish you a happy birthday on the show!
The Game Plan
- We’re chuggin along through series 5!
- The next special episode will be a Classic Who Rewind featuring the Third Doctor story The Terror of the Autons which is the first appearance of The Master.
Join us next time as we discuss Series 5 Episode 7 Amy’s Choice,
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, Jared for the Classic Who Connection. Shout outs to Victor and Jared for their Patreon support.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Consider supporting us at https://www.patreon.com/noobsandthewhovian. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.