New Doctor, new companion, new TARDIS… basically, everything is new. Also, this is a kind of wibbly-wobbly Timey-Wimey episode.
Welcome to Episode 65 covering series 5 episode 1, The Eleventh Hour.
This is the one where we say hello to the Eleventh Doctor!
The newly regenerated Doctor crashes in the backyard of a little Scottish ginger who has a worm infestation. The space worm pretends to be a man with a dog but is eventually captured by flying eyeball space snowflakes.
Remember that one?
- Story # 203
- Originally aired April 3, 2010 to 10.08 million viewers
- Written by: Steven Moffatt
- Directed by: Adam Smith
- What’s new?
- Show runner – Steven Mofatt
- Opening titles
- Theme song arrangement
- TARDIS exterior
- TARDIS interior – this is the first episode to show two TARDIS desktop themes in one episode
Magpie Electricals (from The Idiot’s Lantern) is prominently on display in this TARDIS, and this season. It is on the typewriter, and the back of the monitor.
- This is kind of an Easter episode. Amy is praying to Santa and says “It’s Easter now, so I hope I didn’t bother you.”
- In the commentary for this episode, writer and show runner Steven Mofatt said that the Doctor was the type of man who would jump off a building and work out what to do on the way down.
- He later wrote Heaven Sent where the Doctor did exactly that!
- Mofatt apparently began writing this episode sometime in late 2007!
- This is the first time since Fear Her that there were no on-screen casualties. Which means that this time, everybody lives!
- Eleventh Doctor – Matt Smith
- Did lots of UK stuff before Doctor Who
- Also in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and played Charles Manson in Charlie Says
- Currently playing Prince Philip in Netflix’s The Crown
- Young Amelia – Caitlin Blackwood
- Only child actor to originate a role of a companion. We don’t meet Amy and then flashback to her as a child.
- Also the cousin of Karen Gillan
- Amelia Pond – Karen Gillan
- Nebula from Guardians of the Galaxy
- Ruby Roundhouse from Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and the upcoming Jumanji: Next Level
- Rory Williams – Arthur Darvill
- Played in Broadchurch as Rev. Paul Coates
- Creature of the week
- Multi-form – giant worm thing with horrifying teeth
- Atraxi – giant snowflake eyeballs
- Geronimo –
- Jumping into the TARDIS
- Running count – 2
- Jiggery Pokery
- Sonic –
- Drove a fire truck
- Blew up a phone booth
- TARDIS –
- Turned sideways
- Has a pool
- Has a library
- The pool is in the library
- Return of the St. John’s Ambulance badge
- Turned sideways
- Psychic Paper
- Atraxi sent a message into his psychic paper
- Sonic –
- Jibberty Jabberty
- Of course, it’s an interdimensional multi-form from outer space. They’re all terrified of wood!
- Time War
- The Pandorica will open
- Silence will fall
- The Pandorica will open and silence will fall.
- Silence, Doctor. Silence will fall.
- The Crack
- There’s a crack in Amy’s wall, but it’s not in the wall. It’s everywhere.
- Prisoner Zero didn’t open the crack, but seems to know where it came from.
- The universe is cracked.
- Existential horror
- Who is The Doctor?
- Amelia asks him who he is. “I don’t know yet. I’m still cooking.”
- I’m the Doctor. Do everything I tell you, don’t ask stupid questions, and don’t wander off.
- Steering is a bit off.
- New mouth, new rules. It’s like eating after cleaning your teeth, everything tastes wrong.
- Brand new me never works
- I’m not people. Do I even look like people?
- Do I have a face that no one listens to? Again?
- I’m the Doctor, I’m worse than everybody’s aunt.
- His speech to Jeff was amazing!
- He’s not of this world, but he’s put a lot of work into it.
- He’s been traveling around on his own for a while, but he’s started talking to himself.
- There’s one thing Amy needs to understand cause it’s important and one day your life may depend on it: I am definitely a madman with a box!
- Bow ties are cool.
- Who is Amelia?
- She’s Scottish
- Has a name like in a fairy tale
- She’s not afraid of anything. Box falls out of the sky, man falls out of the box, man eats fish custard and look at you! Just sitting there.
- The girl who waited
Other stuff we noticed
- Article 57 of the Shadow Proclamation
- There are some similarities between this and The Christmas Invasion.
- Particularly his speech to a hostile alien force and the reminder that Earth is protected.
Classic Who Connection
- We see a cricket bat with the 5th Doctor’s regeneration
- Bowties are cool – The 2nd Doctor wore bowties
- This is the first time we can see the St. John Ambulance badge since the 3rd season of Classic Who
- This is the second time we have seen the TARDIS doors open out since the Second Doctor series The Ice Warriors
- In the TV movie there was also lightning when the TARDIS leaves
- Many Doctors have found new outfits in the TARDIS, in some regenerations it would seem that the TARDIS supplied the clothes for them. The Third and Eighth Doctors both stole clothes from a hospital, but I think this is the first time it was done after a regeneration.
- This is the third time the sonic screwdriver has been destroyed. It happened once in Classic Who and that was when it was written off by the showrunner with the Fifth Doctor in The Visitation
- The Sixth and Seventh Doctors disliked carrot juice
- The Fifth Doctor also found a crack in the wall that has bad guys in it in The Awakening
- In the montage of classic creatures, there are two from Classic Who, the Sontarans and the Sea Devils
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Austin – 9 Geronimos
- Corbin – 8.5 perception filters
- Tripp – 9 weird teeth
- Jared – 9.5 Fish Custards
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Austin – 325
- Corbin – 265
- Tripp – 325
- Jared – 275
The Game Plan
- Our next Timey Wimey episode is coming up next month. We’ll be covering the radio drama version of Robert Heinlein’s By His Bootstraps.
- You can find it in the archives at Radio Drama Revival.
Join us next time as we discuss Series 5, Episode 2: The Beast Below.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia, Jared for the Classic Who Connection, and to all of our patrons.