We hit our 50th episode! And we’re discussing probably the weirdest episode so far. And Tripp’s not here. Sad podcasters.
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and two sons who haven’t.
Welcome to Episode 50 covering Season 4 episode 10: Midnight.
This is the one where the Doctor and Donna don’t really hang out much.
Donna is going to sit by the pool, while the Doctor goes to see the Sapphire Waterfalls. He’s going cross-country on a deadly planet made of diamonds where it’s impossible for anything to live, what could possibly go wrong?
The Doctor is making friends on the transport, especially with the outcasts, but something strange happens. The transport stops, which they never do. Help is on the way, and it’s impossible for anything to be alive out there. Which means, of course, that something’s out there. And it’s trying to get in. All they have to do is wait an hour and help will arrive.
But something even stranger is happening. No one is listening to the Doctor! They end up turning on him, especially after Sky steals his voice. They’re just about to throw him out of the transport to his death when the hostess throws Sky out and sacrifices herself in the process.
Turns out, everyone else got back just fine and the Doctor has no idea what the entity was.
- Story # 196.
- Originally aired June 14, 2008, to 8.05 million viewers
- Written by: Russell T Davies
- Directed by: Alice Troughton
- Awards: The sound team Royal Television Society Award and a Welsh BAFTA
- Jethro – Colin Morgan
- Professor Hobbes – David Troughton, son of Patrick Troughton, the Second Doctor
- More on this from Jared
- First companion-lite episode
- This was because Catherine Tate was busy filming for Turn Left
- This is the second ever episode to not feature the TARDIS
- This is the first time that the baddie was never revealed. Ever.
- Noobs and the Whovian is brought to you by R5 Website Management. Do you need content for your blog, email newsletter, or website pages? R5 Website Management produces quality, researched content to communicate your company’s vision and values without busting your company’s bank account. Contact us at r5websitemanagement.com or Facebook.com/r5websitemanagement to get started today.
- Baddie of the week
- The Midnight entity
- Allons-y! Count
- Episode count: 2
- He repeated Sky saying it
- Running count: 11
- Episode count: 2
- Episode count: 1
- Oi, you be careful
- Running count: 6
- Episode count: 1
- Impossible for someone to be outside
- For Sky to repeat the digits of pi
- Jiberty Jaberty
- Shamble bobble dibble dooble
- X-Tonic rays
- Existential horror
- Who was Rose
- Sky said her significant other went to another galaxy to get some space. The Doctor said he had a friend who went to another universe.
- Then she showed up on a screen calling out to the Doctor silently
- Who is Donna?
- Not much here, companion-lite episode and all
- Who is Wilf?
- Austin remembered a lot more Wilf, but that may be yet to come. Certainly the next episode.
- Who is The Doctor?
- Professor, I’m glad you have an absolute definition of life in the universe, but perhaps the universe has ideas of its own.
- Oh, so you’re so special? Yes.
- Because I’m clever!
- Rant of the week
Can we talk about humanity?
- This episode was weird and nothing happened the way we’d expect.
- Normally, the Doctor challenges people to be the best of humanity. This time, we see the worst of humanity.
- If you find value in our show, consider supporting us on Patreon!
Classic Who Connection
- Jared tells us all about David Troughton, son of Patrick Troughton.
- Overall rating out of 10 –
- Austin – 6 Sapphire Waterfalls
- Corbin – 7 Challenger 50s
- Tripp – 6 midnight ghouls
- Jared – he forgot! 😉
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Austin – 325
- Corbin – 315
- Tripp -342
- Jared – forgot again!
- There’s an interesting theory on Tumblr that the entity is a TARDIS. SPOILER ALERT. This article references an interesting TARDIS-centric episode in Series 6.
- Corbin thinks the unnamed baddie may be an Echo or an Ambition Parasite
- He assumed it would be an energy being and then did some digging into the Whoniverse to find one that fit the bill.
- Creatures of living sound
- Their sounds could drive people mad
- Ambition Parasite
- No physical form but rather energy based
- Latch onto oldest living thing in the area
- Psychically drains people motivation
The Game Plan
- Our next episode will be a .5 episode on our theories about time travel in Endgame.
- Next week will be an extra special Timey Wimey on Avengers: Endgame.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia and Jared for the Classic Who Connection.
You can find us at Facebook and email us at email@example.com. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.