Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android |
It’s time for the Doctor Who show to talk about a different British series. Harry Potter with time travel cause it’s magic so why not. But is it good or bad? That’s for us to decide.
This is the podcast that introduces a whole new generation to Doctor Who by watching an episode each week and discussing it from the perspective of a dad who’s seen it before, and THREE sons who haven’t. Except this week, we aren’t!
Welcome to episode 49, a special Timey Wimey edition of Noobs & the Whovian covering Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
This is the one where Harry discovers his godfather is a black wolf, Ron discovers his pet rat is an old dude, and Hermy-own? Herm-yonay? Her-my-oh-nay? Hermione discovers that Professor Lupin is a werewolf.
Harry returns for his third year of wizard training at Hogwarts, but something strange is happening. Dementors are there searching for escaped prisoner of Azkaban, Sirius Black. Apparently Black may be looking for Harry to finish what he started. Rumor is, he’s responsible for the death of Harry’s parents. Remus Lupin, the third Defense Against the Dark Arts professor in three years… nothing suspicious here, move along… decides to teach Harry how to defend himself… against… the dark arts.
Eventually, there’s a showdown and it’s revealed that Lupine actually helped Sirius sneak into Hogwarts to get to his target, but TWIST! It’s Ron he’s after. Well, Ron’s pet, Scabbers. Well, Peter Pettigrew. Well, Peter who’s been living as a rat named Scabbers for 12 years. Harry saves Sirius via a wacky time-traveling adventure through the late evening. Rattigrew got away, but at least the truth is out there now. Oh, and Harry got a new broom to fly.
- I decided to highlight the various actors in this movie, who have appeared or will appear in Doctor Who in our future, OR those who’ve appeared in any Harry Potter movies that we’ve already encountered in the Whoniverse.
- Mark Williams – Arthur Weasley, & Brian Williams (Rory’s dad), Doctor Who (2012-2013)
- David Bradley – Argus Filch, & Solomon, Doctor Who: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (2012), William Hartnell / the First Doctor, An Adventure in Space and Time (2013)
- Warwick Davis – Goblin Bank Teller, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Professor Filius Flitwick, Harry Potter (All), Griphook, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 & 2, Porridge, Doctor Who: Nightmare in Silver (2013)
- Michael Gambon – Professor Albus Dumbledore, & Kazran & Elliot Sardick, Doctor Who: A Christmas Carol (2010)
- Shirley Henderson – Moaning Myrtle, & Ursula Blake, Doctor Who: Love & Monsters (2006)
- Roger Lloyd Park – Barty Crouch Sr., & John Lumic, Doctor Who: The Rise of the Cybermen & The Age of Steel (2006)
- David Tennant – Barty Crouch Jr., and The Doctor
- This Timey Wimey episode of Noobs and the Whovian is brought to you by R Space Community. R Space is a coworking community that seeks to strengthen small businesses. Are you a blogger, freelancer, or work at home mom or dad? Then you need R Space’s Virtual Mailbox.
- If you have an email newsletter, you’re required to put a valid mailing address in all your correspondence. But you don’t want to tell all your readers your home street address. Instead, use your Virtual Mailbox address.
- For just $11.99/month, get a real-world street address for your small business. Your mail comes to us, we send you a photo of the outside of every envelope, you decide what we forward to you and what gets shredded.
- Go to rspacecommunity.com/noobs to get half off your first month!
Random stuff we noticed
- The Room of Doom?!
- I hate everything about Draco Malfoy. And not in the way we’re supposed to.
- Both seekers were taken out in the quidditch match, but Hufflepuff won?
- The plot twist was exceptionally well done. They kept the dialogue just vague enough to be deceptive, but specific enough to be obvious after you know the twist.
- What’s the deal with Peter/Scabbers clothes
- Magic McWizardface
- Rowling loves using Greek and Latin puns for character names
- Remus Lupin
- Sirius Black
- Argus Filch – Argus Panoptes was a giant of Greek mythology that had eyes all over his body
- Sybill Trelawney – sybills were prophetesses
- Minerva McGonagall – Minerva was the Roman goddess of wisdom and battle strategy
- Fenrir Greyback – Fenrir was a wolf in Norse mythology. This is the same name as Hela’s wolf in Thor: Ragnarok
- Narcissa Malfoy – named after Narcissus
- Honorable mention for Peter PETigrew becoming a pet rat.
Can we talk about Hogwarts?
- Hogwarts is the most irresponsible school ever!
- Dumbledore basically says there are murderous demon hunters surrounding the school and if you get in their way they’ll kill you as soon as look at ya. He then preemptively victim-blames by saying “don’t give them a reason to suck out your soul.
- The quidditch match Corbin mentioned
- Lupin saying he doesn’t want Harry wandering around the halls alone while there’s a murderer on the loose, then sends him to wander the halls back to his room while there’s a murderer on the loose.
- EVERY teacher basically hates children.
- If a child came to me every year for seven years and said “That person isn’t who you think they are and I think they’re trying to kill me.” and was right EVERY FLIPPIN TIME, I’d start listening to that child.
Time travel details:
- Magic, via The Time Turner. Turn the dial back a few times and it takes you back in time.
- Can you change the past?
- Not really? The books seem to say you can, but in the end they don’t.
- Whatever happened, happened.
Where was the time travel type introduced?
- At almost the end of the movie!
Things they got Wrong:
- Did they follow their own rules?
- Harry knew he could do the patronus charm because he saw himself do it before. I think it’s interesting when time travelers know what to do because they already saw themselves do it or told themselves to do it.
Was it good?
Was it a good story?
Was it a good time travel story?
- Austin – yes
- Corbin – not bad
- Tripp – yes
- Braden – sort of?
- Jared and James Kennison got to hang out!
- Jared also has a segment for this week, but we’re recording a day early, so we don’t have it yet. We’ll add that at the end, so be sure to stick around after our closing.
The Game Plan
We’re chugging along straight to the season finale and then we have some specials: a minisode on Music of the Spheres, a series recap episode, then our second Classic Who covering series 1, story 2, Dalek. That episode will feature a special segment from Jared.
Join us next time for Season 4 episode 10 Midnight.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special guest host is Braden Reason. Special thanks to IMDB.com for the trivia.
You can message us at Facebook or email us.
Support us at Patreon.
Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.