Podcast: Play in new window | Download
The Doctor has a Daughter. That IRL is his wife. Making the fifth Doctor the Tenth Doctor’s Father-in-law. This is getting confusing.
Welcome to Episode 46 covering Season 4 episode 6: The Doctor’s Daughter
This is the one where the Doctor, Donna, and Rose, er, Martha meet the Doctor’s daughter, er clone, er, progenation duplicate, er… Jenny? Just as Martha was going to say goodbye to the Doctor again, the TARDIS takes off all on its own. They land in the middle of a war between humans and the Hath. Some soldiers grab the Doctor for processing and end up cloning him through progenation. The Doctor is a father! And mother! Then a bomb goes off and collapses the tunnel, separating the Doctor and Donna from Martha and the TARDIS.
The Doctor starts asking questions. The war’s been going on for generations, longer than any single clone can remember. And no one remembers why. But they know if they can reach the source, they can wipe out the Hath and end the war. The Doctor is having exactly NONE of that! He, Donna, and Jenny start making their way to the Source, while Martha and a Hath, apparently named Peck, are taking the surface route.
They all arrive at the same basic time and the Doctor figures out that the war started over a power vacuum, but something strange is happening. Donna figures out that the war started a week ago. The Source is a third-generation terraforming device. The Doctor declares the war over by starting the terraforming process, but General Cobb takes a last shot at the Doctor and hits Jenny.
The Doctor takes Martha home and heads out with Donna for a new adventure, and we cut back to Jenny who suddenly regenerates (sort of?) and steals a ship to go explore the universe. Like father, like daughter. The end.
- Story # 193
- Originally aired and May 10 2008 to 7.33 million viewers
- Written by: Stephen Greenhorn
- He wrote Lazarus Experiment, which was also the sixth episode in the season and followed a two-parter by Helen Raynor!
- Directed by: Alice Troughton
- This and Midnight are her only two episodes
- Did some Torchwood and SJA though
- Awards: none
- Jenny – Georgia Moffett (now Tennant)
- Daughter of Peter Davison (real name Moffett)
- Not to be confused with Steven Moffat, writer and later showrunner
- This aired on Mother’s Day (US)
- According to Doctor Who: Companions and Allies, Jenny didn’t regenerate but was resurrected by the terraforming device. Much like… Spock!
- Baddie of the week
- Well… count
- Episode count – 4
- You sure it’s yours (his hand). Well…
- Who’s she? Well… she’s my daughter
- Isn’t that what every soldier is trying to do? Well… I suppose, but…
- The original spaceship the colonists arrived on? Well… it could be, but the power cells would’ve run down after all that time.
- Running count – 50
- Episode count: 1
- Oi, oi, oi! Cool the beans Rambo!
- Running count: 4
- You are completely impossible! I’m not impossible, just a bit unlikely.
- Jenny went through the lasers. That was impossible. Not impossible, just a bit unlikely!
- Time War
- It was much bigger than the war with the Hath.
- Jiberty Jaberty
- Progenation – reproduction from a single organism. It means one parent is biological mother and father. You take a sample of diploid cells and split them into haploids, then recombine them in a different arrangement and grow, very quickly apparently.
- Jiggery Pokery
- TARDIS –
- Translation matrix on the fritz? Apparently, Martha could understand the Hath, even though we couldn’t. They even wrote the Hath dialogue in English in the script!
- Who was Martha?
- She loves the first bit when you step off the TARDIS.
- Donna says “like you just swallowed a hamster”
- She’s not collateral damage to ANYONE! (Donna)
- Who is Donna?
- She’s good with numbers. She mastered the Dewey decimal system in two days flat.
- She plans to travel with that man forever.
- Who is The Doctor?
- Just cuz I share certain physiological traits with simian primates doesn’t make me a monkey’s uncle, does it?
- Oh the source? What’s that? I like a source.
- Get yourself a better dictionary. And when you do, look up genocide. You’ll see a little picture of me there with the caption, “Over my dead body!”
- Jenny insists he’s a soldier. He’s strategizing, plotting, fighting back with a weapon.
- Jenny is only an echo of a Time Lord. A Time Lord is so much more. A sum of knowledge, a code, a shared history, a shared suffering. And it’s gone now, all of it. Gone forever.
- He fought and killed in the Time War, so how are they different?
- What are Time Lords for? What do you do?
- I travel through time and space. He save planets, rescues civilizations, defeats terrible creatures and runs a lot. Seriously, there’s an outrageous amount of running involved.
- The killing, it infects you. Once it does, you’re never rid of it.
- But we don’t have a choice. We always have a choice.
- Donna says “You talk all the time and you don’t say anything.”
- When his family died, a part of him died too.
- I’m the Doctor and I declare this war is over!
- Make the foundation of this society a man who never would!
Other stuff we noticed
- So many gurgles.
- All gurgle
- Gurgled sigh
- Loud gurgling
- Moaning and gurgling
Let’s talk about needless sacrificial deaths
- Did Hath Peck really have to die?
- Who over-reacted more, Atreyu or Martha?
Classic Who Connection
- Jared talks about the similarity between the opening of this story and that of The Web of Fear.
- Is Jenny Susan’s mother?
- Overall rating out of 10
- Austin – 8 dramatic gurgles
- Corbin – 8 dislocated fish shoulders
- Tripp – 8.5 dying Pecks
- Jared – 7 P90 rifles
- Creep Level – out of 500
- Austin – 80
- Corbin – 50
- Tripp – 134
- Jared – 300
The Game Plan
- Our next Timey Wimey episode is in a few weeks and will cover Harry Potter: The Prisoner Azkaban.
- We’ll be covering the movie, not the book.
- You can get your copy at Amazon. If you use these links, your experience won’t change at all but you’ll be helping to support Noobs and the Whovian.
Join us next time as we discuss Season 4 episode 7: The Unicorn and The Wasp.
Noobs and the Whovian is a production of Master Closet Studios, where it’s always smaller on the inside. Your Senior Producer is Austin Reason. Our Audio Engineer is Tripp Reason. Corbin Reason is our Production Editor. Special thanks to tardis.wikia.com for the trivia and Jared for the Classic Who Connection.
You can find us at facebook.com/noobsandthewhovian and email us at email@example.com. Please subscribe and leave a rating wherever you found us, and share us with a friend not because we’re a great show but because we watch one.